HybridZ

90+ 300zx V8 Conversion

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MegaShaft_2000

Or you can put in the twin turbo engine that came with the TT models, and you'll have better weight distribution than with a V8 in it, as well as putting out more HP than most small block V-8's are capable of. And it will fit right in.

Plenty of people have gotten 500-600 hp just by upgrading the turbos, ECU, and fuel injectors.

In my 91 TT, I routinely pull away from so called "muscle cars" on the highway. I'm just stage 3, which is around 400hp. I spent a minimal amount of money on mine (around $1600 for ECU, intake, exhaust)

You forgot the intercoolers. Now add up the price of the turbos ($!), Injectors ($!), and Intercoolers ($!). Exhaust too. Ooops, you just bought a V8. How much do the TT motors weigh BTW? Plumbing and all? I'm wondering if the weight is really all that different. What do replacement parts cost? You get th eidea - a V8 is going to be a pretty viable solution I think.

Guest Anonymous

I'm sure its somewhat lighter (although with the turbo's and all the exhaust and intake plumbing and intercooler that might be debatable), but I doubt if you are talking dollars per performance thats its cheaper by any means. A aluminum headed smallblock, or a LS1 would be light enough. Even a normally aspirated 383 can approach if not go straight through the 500 hp mark. If you forgo the turbo's and the intercooler and associated plumbing, I doubt it would weight more and would put out comparable horsepower. By the time you buy two turbo's, and injectors and the electronics to hop up the stock twin turbo you'd have nearly built a 383 (as Blkmgk said).

It comes down to what you like really, if I fell into a deal like Scarp did, and smog wasn't a concern, and the bottom end of the stock motor had a hole large enough to drive though, no doubt I'd put a Chevy engine (or a Buick GN motor)in it because it makes economic sense when your talking bang for the buck IMHO, but thats me.

Lone

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

Guest Speaker

quote:

Originally posted by FAIRLADY 327:

that would be crazy!!!! turbo v8 in that batch, nobody could see that coming, or maybe an rb26?? ls1/t56 can be had for a somewhat reasonable price from this one gm sports salvage yard out here i have yet to talk to. do it do it. im trying to convince my homie out here to swap in a 350tpi/t5 into a 240sx-smoke em up!!!

the RB26DETT has the same boltup pattern as the VG30DETT

but it won't make you any faster off the bat... the VG30DETT engine can actually take more abuse and power than the RB26DETT can with the stock bottom ends... but the RB26 can handle a HELLUVA lot of power with a built bottom end...

but if you're going to build a Z32 hybrid i'd go with a V8 solely because that car is so damn heavy it needs the torque...

a TT 350 or Turbo 350 motor would be GREAT...

just remember to change the suspension; that car has terrible off the line wheelspin due to its suspension geometry

Guest Speaker

quote:

Originally posted by DavyZ:

Jeff Rimmer: The 383 was "underpowered" compared to the 300?!? I'm totally shocked! A 383 has enough stump pulling torque to twist a unibody and smoke the hides for days. I can't believe you actually said that, unless your setup was an exception? What's the deal????

Scarp: If you have the bucks, a force fed LT1 or LS1 would be sooo sweet. Heck, you bought that thing for a song, but money does not grow on trees. You are, however, safer in that "modern" car as opposed to the older series you once had, so maybe putting some good cash into it is worth it after all?

David

the Z32 300zx chassis is far stiffer than any of the cars that you normally place a 383 in... trust me... its VERY strong icon_smile.gif

Guest Speaker

quote:

Originally posted by BLKMGK:

You forgot the intercoolers. Now add up the price of the turbos ($!), Injectors ($!), and Intercoolers ($!). Exhaust too. Ooops, you just bought a V8. How much do the TT motors weigh BTW? Plumbing and all? I'm wondering if the weight is really all that different. What do replacement parts cost? You get th eidea - a V8 is going to be a pretty viable solution I think.

it is a very good solution

the VG30DETT is a pretty damn light engine...

its way lighter than a carbed OHV V8

but exhaust intake and ECU will make you run away from most musclecars on a roll

off the line there's not a damn thing you can do... the anti-squat geometry of the Z32 will make you spin BAD while the musclecars squat like hell and leave you in the dust for the first 1/8th mile... and thats only if you have enough power to catch up with them...

and no, a Stage III will NOT give you 400hp... it will give you about 320-330rwhp and about 335rwhp with tuned fuel... Stage III is at 13.5psi...

with 555cc injectors and a full straightpipe exhaust, you will net around 380rwhp with tuned ignition, fuel, and 17psi...

sorry but i've been there and been other places and seen the hype and seen what is real and what isn't...

but a V8 Z will be different because it has enough torque to get the Z32 moving and the chassis is stiff enough to handle the power

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by MegaShaft_2000:

The car already has 2 intercoolers which are sufficient until you get to really high boost levels.

No it does not it is the N/A version.

and btw after getting the N/A motor out it is NOT all that light.

need to load it and go find some scales but I estamate 425-475 lbs.

My point was that much past 400HP things start getting expensive. Intercoolers need upgrading - two of them, turbos - two of them, and on and on. Right up to about where you're at with 400 some odd HP it's been fairly cheap. Now go further and watch the prices go upwards as you need things like injectors and whatnot.

IMO the 300ZXTT is a great car, I almost wish I had one instead of my RX7TT as the motor is more durable. But having spoken to guys going balls out with the mods it's aparent that after a certain point you have to switch out lot's of stuff to go faster as things peak out. 400HP out of a V8 is a cakewalk these days and a blown V8 is just plain sick icon_smile.gif

Guest MegaShaft_2000

quote:

Originally posted by Speaker:

and no, a Stage III will NOT give you 400hp... it will give you about 320-330rwhp and about 335rwhp with tuned fuel... Stage III is at 13.5psi...

with 555cc injectors and a full straightpipe exhaust, you will net around 380rwhp with tuned ignition, fuel, and 17psi...

Stage III is pretty flexible in terms of amount of boost and HP you get. When you install the boost jets, you don't always get 13.5 psi. When I installed mine, I got 15 psi.

Most people who are at Stage 3 DO have 400 hp. You said yourself that it's around 335 rwhp, and with the 18% loss through the Z's drivetrain, that's over 395 hp right there. And considering most people don't run 13.5 psi, you can imagine that most people are slightly over the 400hp mark.

And people who buy the 555 cc injectors usually get larger turbos to go with that, and they're good for nearly 600 hp.

Guest MegaShaft_2000

quote:

The car already has 2 intercoolers which are sufficient until you get to really high boost levels.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MegaShaft_2000

quote:

My point was that much past 400HP things start getting expensive. Intercoolers need upgrading - two of them, turbos - two of them, and on and on. Right up to about where you're at with 400 some odd HP it's been fairly cheap. Now go further and watch the prices go upwards as you need things like injectors and whatnot.

IMO the 300ZXTT is a great car, I almost wish I had one instead of my RX7TT as the motor is more durable. But having spoken to guys going balls out with the mods it's aparent that after a certain point you have to switch out lot's of stuff to go faster as things peak out. 400HP out of a V8 is a cakewalk these days and a blown V8 is just plain sick
icon_smile.gif

From the point where I am now, I can get 555cc injectors for about $1000, an ECU reprogram for $100, and 2 turbo's for about $1500

That'll be good for about 600 hp, and for about $3000 over what I have now.

There's a bunch of people on TwinTurbo.net around the 600hp mark.

After that point though, it'll really cost you, because the stock internals will need to be upgraded.

But 500-600 hp on a Z32TT is no big deal.

I also noticed that some people spend tons of money on things which are not necessary and don't offer much improvement. Things like pulleys, polished heads, light flywheels, aluminum driveshafts... they may look impressive on your engine's resume, but from the dyno charts I've seen, it's money not well spent.

As for V8's, I don't know how much the stock internals on a 350 will reliably take without being rebuilt, but I remember adding up the cost of getting 600 hp out of a V8, and it wasn't nearly as cheap as I thought it would be.

I guess the TT Z engine is relatively cheap to mod because it has internals that will safely handle 600hp, it was already set up for forced induction, it has variable cam timing, a detonation sensor, fuel injection, a good ignition system, no distributor to mess with, and a good aftermarket for performance parts to bring it up to high HP levels.

On the other hand, if I already had a SBC, I wouldn't waste my money buying a TT Z engine to mod. I guess whatever engine you already have would be cheaper to work with, rather than buying another engine.

For the 300ZX that the thread is about, though, it would probably be more cost effective to put a twin turbo engine in it, since the car is made for it, the engineering is already done for him and the engine drops right in.

Wouldn't be as exciting though.

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: MegaShaft_2000 ]

put a gnx motor in that thing and real big turbo, some nos for the spool, tub it, and run em!!!!! you wanna see the costs of getting a gnx to 600hp? its cheaper than than a vg30 any day of the week if your mouthpiece has any skill in it at all and thats real!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous

Hey , first post here, did Scarp ever do this conversion? More info? I would love to do this to a NA Z32, as they are much cheaper then the TT :)

Info? I've looked around a couple dif sites and this swap is not one with a lot of info :(

cliffnotes - 350SBC->Z32NA data requested :) And all the pics have gone little X's :(

Guest Your Car is Slow

Buddy of mine put an LT1/4L60 in his Z32....he fabricated his own motor mounts...but it fit beautifully in the engine bay...looks like it belongs there.

although recently his 4L60 took a dump and he is replacing it with a T56

can email him at dts300z@aol.com if you have specific questions.

I remember seeing a 92 300ZX on ebay about a year ago that had a Chevy 350 installed. The guy had said that the rear end still needed to be tuned and adjusted. If i remember right, he was running the 700R4 tranny. Anyone know of who this guy is?