HybridZ

Clutch master cylinder

I am setting up a 1977 280 z for a SBC and WC T5 GM manual trans. I purchased a Mcloed 1400 series hydraulic throwout bearing assembly,lightened GM performance flywheel & zoom performance clutch. Will the stock Datsun 5/8" master cylinder work or should I consider an upgrade?

Edited by chris280z

Get a Tilton 7/8bore master.

The only reason I considered the stock is that I received a brand new stock master cylinder with the car when purchased. Dont want to cut myself short so I took your advice I ordered one through Summit this morning $85.00+ shipping, not bad!

I have the same flywheel/clutch combo with the external Wilwood pull-type slave. I am using a 7/8ths master and the clutch pedal takes a lot of effort. I don't mind on track, but manuvering in the parking/garage lot is hard on the left leg.

I spoke with tech at Mcleod, they said 7/8" bore was recomended for high performance use, the 5/8" bore is acceptable & with the longer throw it will have a softer feel. I have a feeling I'll be torturing ol' projekt-z a little bit so I opted for the Tilton 7/8".....i still have good knees!

For me the throw on the pedal is just right with the 7/8" master. I have reinforced the firewall and pedal box mounting areas. Given the issues with pedal throw being limited and worn out linkage parts adding to the problems; I don't think anything else would work.

Edited by bjhines