HybridZ

Runs Great then Suddenly Dies:???

I have a 1977 280z. The problem I am having is, I will drive the car down the road and the engine will suddenly idle out. The car will not crank back over, but if I let it sit for 5 mins the engine fires back up and I am able to drive it back to my place. So essentially I thought I was having a fuel starvation issue. I have therefore replaced the fuel pump which was giving me 68 psi worth of fuel to my fuel rail. I have replaced 2 filters and the fuel regulator. I am now getting around 38psi worth of fuel to my rails. However I am still having the problem of the car suddenly idleing out and unable to start unless I let it sit for 5 or so minutes. Other then the Fuel pump, Fuel Filters, Fuel Regulator. I have also replaced the distributor, Thermostat, Starter, Ignition Coil. When I take it out later this evening Ill try to get a short video of what the car is doing. And post it here.

Rust in your tank. Take the line going into your fuel pump off. There is a plastic "screening" cone going into the pump. Take it out, clean it or toss. Go get a fram G3 filter. Put it inline between your tank and fuel pump. The real solution is to send your tank some place like this: http://www.gas-tank.com/

Basicly as the rust gets sucked up into the pump it clogs that screen and you starve for fuel. The fram filter will keep it trapped. You might have to change it frequently at first until the rust is removed.

I would highly recommend going to Harbor Frieght and buy there cheap fuel injector test kit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-injection-pump-tester-92699.html

It has that silver fitting that you can install inline and leave. I believe you have fuel starvation as stated above. I had similar symptoms but backfiring through intake as well.

This way as it is acting up you can look at the gauge and confirm you pressure at any given point. I was guessing and guessing and was quite relieved when I determined the problem.

Oh and you may have chunks of rust floating around in your tank pluging up the line as well. I had this problem too.

Edited by JSM