HybridZ

OK Removing Por-15 from Engine Bay

Guest KraZ4spd

Guest Anonymous

WAG Z: do not use that on your engine bay... it is not good for large surfaces and reacts to sunlight.I spray painted my engine bay and it looked great after the application but the next morning I wanted to cry when I saw that the liberal amont of reducer I used to spray properly orange peeled over nite. I started with a gloss black and now it is a flat black with very little exposure to the sun. The silver turns this god awful green tint too. To clean up my engine bay from the POR15 , I will use those roll loc scotch brite discs on an air grinder and a electric detail sander that uses those triangular velcro sanding pads. I will not be taking it all off and only cleaning up the nasty parts. The firewall area came out good but the passenger fender well is a mess while the drivers side is a hodge podge of flat and curly Q contradictions. POR sells a paint coating to cover the POR 15 allowing a different kind of paint to bond over the POR 15. I will probably use Hammerite

Guest KraZ4spd

I have had my engine bay painted with the gloss black Por-15 for about a year. I have not had any peeling or curling effect. Then again my engine isn't in yet.

Guest Anonymous

My problem was that I used too much reducer to thin the POR15 to properly spray in the small detail spray gun. The reducer caused the orange peel problem while the paint cured overnight. Why I used the POR 15 I do not know since, I did not even have rust under the battery tray!