HybridZ

280z Ignition resistor Ohms

ModernS30

Hey guys,

I recently 'let the smoke out' of the ignition resistor on my 240z trying to get it running. It started, it has a full 1977 280z EFI, ignition, and body harness. All the wiring is from the 280z. I had the car running and then when I finished running my fuel system I tried to start it. To my avail there goes the ignition resistor, smoking! Well, I pulled it off, I was just going to buy one from somebody, but it should be a simple fix, just buy the proper ohm resistors and screw them down like factory.

Basically I am wondering what ohms these resistors are, or maybe somebody knows where I can find out. I figure it will allow me to go a little more modern compared to from the 70's as well as keeping cost very low, resistors are pretty cheap from radio shack or anywhere really so it should only be a couple dollar fix.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I couldn't find squat when I searched. Maybe this could help somebody else in the future?

Thanks a bunch

Kinser

Ok guys, it seems like super low so I must be wrong on something. In the FSM for a 77 there is a little chart. It says:

External resistor at 20C (68F) Ohm..............................1.15 to 1.45

(Standard resistor 0.4 + 0.9)

Now, what I was getting from this, is that the little coil was a 0.4 ohm resistor, and the larger one was a 0.9 ohm resistor. The problem I am having is, there is for sure not any resistor that small I can find. Maybe somebody can point out what I am doing wrong here? I must be looking at something wrong. I will try to scan the page or something. It is on page EE-39 if the 280z Datsun FSM. Now, if the resistor is that small, does anybody know where I can get one?

EDIT: Also, maybe somebody knows what Watt the resistor is supposed to be? Boy is this getting to be more difficult than it should. If I can figure these things out then I will just do it myself. I would much rather replace it with modern items than the same old used one that is just going to quit on me again.

Thanks again,

Kinser

Edited by ModernS30