HybridZ

Trouble fitting cam!

Bahraini240z

I bought a cam from eBay that was re-grind from Gude Performance E31 cam.

The lift is .579, the duration is 272 degrees, cam lobe angle is 108 degrees.

Cam did not fit on E88 head with stock rocker arms, valves and retainers. Do I need to change those to have it fit?

The spring gets pushed to maximum

First off, that's a pretty extreme cam to put on a stock E88 head. Without corresponding port work it's most likely a waste. This is kind of an "advanced users only" kind of cam.

At that lift, yes you will almost certainly need different springs and retainers, and you will need to check your clearance to the valve guide and seal. I doubt the stock guide/seal will work without modification. Also, once that's all sorted, you'll want to check to make sure the valves don't hit anything in the combustion chamber, such as the piston or cylinder wall.

My god! I thought that was a mild cam, looking at the 272 number!

Thanks for the reply... Cam up for sale :P

Since I don't wanna do the same mistake, what is a good deal on a decent cam to run with 40phh mikuni triples, flat top pistons and headers? Shneider perhaps?

Edited by Bahraini240z

My god! I thought that was a mild cam, looking at the 272 number!

Thanks for the reply... Cam up for sale :P

Since I don't wanna do the same mistake, what is a good deal on a decent cam to run with 40phh mikuni triples, flat top pistons and headers? Shneider perhaps?

Just to double-check, .579 lift was not a typo, correct? Assuming that it was not a typo, then yes that's a lot of lift for an l-series head

You can search on this, but gross valve lift permissible on stock springs will be in the 0.470" range before you hit coil bind.

If the 272 degree range you mentioned was at 0.050" lift, congratulations, you bought a cam larger than what holds 17 world land speed records at El Mirage, Bonneville, and Muroc...

If that gives you any indication on how 'large' of a cam you got!

If you have stock cast pistons, you are going to be restricted to 6500-7000 rpms for longevity, meaning no durations over 240 at .050" (or 272 GROSS DURATION).

Yes, a 272 cam GROSS is relatively mild, and with a 460" lift would be good for what you have.

But 272 at 0.050" VALVE lift is more like 290 or 300 degrees GROSS duration. This is all in the archives, take some time to search and you will be O.K.

That cam with 0.579" valve lift is designed for operation and rpms above 7000, and is unsuited to the piston configuration you stated. Hope you got a good price on it! Actually Gude's shop is about 20 minutes from my house. It's one of the places I can actually ride the bus to visit! LOL ($2!) Aren't I green and clean using public transportation...to pick up my big lopey cams?

<EDIT> so glad this posted, my internet shut off and I wasn't sure it went....

Edited by Tony D