HybridZ

Newbie! Just bought a 240z. Have some issues.

So I stripped my honda and sold all the parts to buy my Z. The owner told me there was a few issues I needed to deal with on the car. I noticed while trying to fill up after a certain amount the car will leak a good amount of fuel from under the tank. Filler hose cracked?

Another issue are the brakes. There is pretty much no pressure in the brake pedal. The fluids in the reservoirs are pretty low. I have to bottom out the pedal and use my ebrake together to stop the car. Very scary. Where should I start? Fill the resevoirs up and bleed the brakes? Im worried the brake booster is out because it doesnt build pressure when the engine is off.

The car doesnt have keys installed on the doors.He did however give me new locks with a key. How difficult are these to install? Im sure ill figure it out once I remove the panal but Id like a general idea of what goes on in there.

Any direction or advice is appreciated. thanks

post-13161-092238400 1284665343_thumb.jpg

Edited by 247

Welcome to HybridZ!

Sounds like you have a reasonable idea of what is going on :)

It's not hard to drop the tank and replace the hoses. Where exactly is the leak coming from?

First thing I would try to do is bleed the brakes. It could be as simple as air in the lines.

Edited by cockerstar

Welcome to HybridZ!

Sounds like you have a reasonable idea of what is going on :)

It's not hard to drop the tank and replace the hoses. Where exactly is the leak coming from?

First thing I would try to do is bleed the brakes. It could be as simple as air in the lines.

Would the only culprit be the hoses on the tank? I need to do more research as I dont really know what components make up the fuel tank on these cars. It was kind of dark the last time I saw it leaking or should I say pouring. I put in about 4-5 gallons once it started spilling out. It looks like it drips off somewhere in the middle more towards the filler side. Im going to jack it up this weekend and take a better look.

Welcome to Hybridz, and congrats on your marriage to your automotive bride (in white, even). Really Owning a Z is one of the most fun, and most challenging things you can do. With a lot of love she'll treat you right, but don't expect her not to be moody. They are definitely fiery hot tempered girls. However tempermental she is, when she's running well you'd better hold on tight.

Your Fuel issue is likely either a bad hose or a bad seal on the sender unit. Both are fairly easy to fix, but you'll likely have to drain and drop the tank to do this. It's a good idea to clean it out while you've got it off the car since it's likely to have 40 years worth of sand and dirt in there. Since you're in San Diego, it's unlikely it's rusted through. But if that's the case, a new tank is readily availible.

As for the brakes, Yeah, try the fill and Bleed option first. If that doesn't work, then you're into replacing parts. If you separate the Master Cyl and the booster, then be careful because there's a "Puck" spacer that tends to fall down inside. If you replace the Master or slave cylinders, it might be a good chance to upgrade the brake system to 4 wheel disc, with a ZX Master and S10 Calipers front and ZX or other calipers rear (you'll need brackets.) It's pretty easy, but don't forget the proportioning valve.

It's easy to spend a bit on these cars but that's the same for most any Classic. Another thing you should look into is keeping her properly insured, to protect your investment. S30's aren't even in normal NADA guides anymore so they're harder to establish a decent repair/total limit on the insurance. So look into Classic/modified car insurance from Companies like State Farm's Hagarty insurance. You can get an appraisal and an agreed upon value, (you'll have a couple limitations, but the rates are super cheap for full coverage). With standard insurance, the adjuster could look in the paper and on craigs and say oh I found 5 cars at under $1000 bucks, so that's what your $12,000 restored classic must be worth. No Way, farkin insurance adjusters! so protect yourself, it's cheap and easy.

Do some searches on here, there's info on everything you could possibly want to do to your Z, and ways to do it safely. Not that some actions with your "girl" won't still get you jailtime in most southern states. At least she's not underage :wink:

Phar

And as always, if you have a question, don't be afraid to ask.