HybridZ

Lee's 280Z Progress

So, I figured it is about time that I create a thread about my car. I go to college in New Mexico and the car has been residing at home in California, so I have only been able to work on it over Christmas break and after work during the summer. I bought my 1978 280z from the original owner with 152,000 original miles. He was in the process of restoring it when the economy hit, so I got it for a great price. The PO was kind enough to have $1600 in work done to the car months before he sold it to me. He had a new steering rack installed, new tie rod ends, new brakes all around (from Les Schwab, which means all new brake components including calipers), and new tires. It wasn't running when I bought it, but only needed a fuel pump.

I purchased the car in September 2009 through my brother who was local to the car. I didn't get to see it (other than pictures) until I flew out for Thanksgiving. I have been able to accomplish the following in the little time I've had to work on the car: installed MSA swaybars, Tokico suspension(springs, adjustable struts), polyurethane bushings, all new engine gaskets, 16" Konig Rewinds wrapped in 205/55R16 Pirelli tires, new clutch, all new hoses, rebuilt radiator, and new interior upholstery.

My plans for the car include a turbo LM7 (5.3L Chevy V8) and a T56. I would go with a turbocharged LS1, but I'm going to have to start paying for grad school coming up next fall, on top of the undergrad expenses that I am currently incurring.

The following two images are how the car looked when I first got it running:

SDIM1782.jpg

SDIM1779.jpg

And after the suspension:

SDIM1948.jpg

New upholstery. I had the stock seats custom built with stiff foam covered with 1 inch of memory foam everywhere except for the side wings. I'm glad to have the horse hair gone and now it is like driving a recliner. I have a new headliner and also had the door panels recovered as well. All that is missing now is the carpet, which I plan on doing myself. You can see the memory foam in the back of the car in the picture below.

DSC00657.JPG

Here's a shot of the driver's seat.

DSC00658.JPG

I absolutely hate oil leaks. My engine had one. The key word is had. I pulled the engine and installed all new gaskets and inspected the engine. I also took this opportunity to paint the engine.

SDIM2224.jpg

The L28 is tiny compared to the V8's that I am used to working on! I just finished up a 496 cubic inch boat engine before starting on my Z's engine, so the change was quite drastic.

SDIM2225.jpg

High-temp painted exhaust manifold is on.

SDIM2231.jpg

SDIM2232.jpg

Here's the Z last week (pictured with my brother at a local car show).

DSC00653.JPG

DSC00656.JPG

Comments are welcome and encouraged.