HybridZ

Diagnosis

Josh280z

I have the original engine in my '79 280zx.

problem, it sometimes backfire and acts like it wants to die on me when I step on the gas...

it has also died on me once, the RPMs were around the 1000s when it did this

I have been told it could be timing and/or adjusting the valves.

I have not opened up the engine yet, would you please give me some advice on what is going

Then sell your car and buy something more modern. We are not here to spoon feed you. Read the manual and go through the procedures outlined in the FSM for testing the ECU as well as search here and at Zcar.com and Classiczcar.com for possible causes of your problem.

Edited by ktm

Its not the valve clearence, but if they make noice, you should adjust them, but thats not your problem. First things first,check your timing, and then your ignition system (plugs, dis cap). If you have problems getting high rpms (3500+), the dizzy could be broken, have seen this quite a few times. Either ignition module or excessive shaft play causes misfires, and the inability to reach high RPMs.

If none of the above helps you, you could try going through the FSM. The FI system generally is very reliable, but shure, sometimes they fail. but most times, the problems are the easy stuff, like a part clogged fuel filter.

• 4 months later...