HybridZ

ok it's painted tell me what you think

scottyMIz

damn that was quick guys and thanks i painted it myself and i'm very happy with it.And it looks just like the pic in person except for now i have all thee badging on and the wing so it looks better.I and my friends did a great job on the body work...thanks jd rockon.gif

Guest Anonymous

Awesome scotty! No more poopie brown emo.giftongue.gif -just kidding

I love the msa fiberglass kit, and you didn't even have to relocate the turn signals twak.gif

Now you can bash the street in style. What profile tire do you have in back?

-980mak rockon.gif

Thanks,it does look nice i had a friend i haven't seen in about 4 months come over cuz he thought i bought a new car :D I have 205-55-16's all the way around the car i am gona get 225-45 16's really soon(if money permits) I took off the front turn signals cuz i thought they where just too big.I replaced them with little led lights for turn and running lights.Now the car is where i have always wanted it.I get people waving to me and i don't even know who they are :confused: Must be the car ;)

Guest 400 ci 280z

that looks great 2thumbs.gif !! it really gives me some courage to paint my car myself. i would also like to know where you found the wing? thanks

Looks awesome Scotty! hail.gif Now she looks as fast as she runs. I'm going to re-paint my Z as well and I have a few questions. Do I need to get a compressor with a big tank? if so how big? How did you set up your garage? I have a full two car garage and I was contemplating on taking up the other half for painting the Z. Did you cover the walls and ceiling rafters with plastic? Do I need to set up a fan to blow out the chemicals? I'm a rooky with automotive painting but I have about 7 years of commercial painting experience so I think I know the basics as far as using a sprayer etc. I just don't know the technical stuff as of yet. Anyway, let me know what you did and if you have any pointers, please don't hesitate to educate me. Thanks cheers.gif

thanks again guys, the wing i got from a firebird(got it for free) and made it fit my z.I had to refiberglass the legs of the wing so it set right on the car took some time but i like it cuz i know no one has one(that i know of).Rated it was really easy i did mine in a garage with a dirt floor (it's all i could find) and the floor was wet so no dirt blew up.But i'd suggest cleaning it really good the garage that is.Make sure you have alot of light i didn't and i have some small places that could use a touch up but not bad.I had my friend give me pointers, he's the one that works at BMW as a body guy. So he was giving me 2 years of school over the phone in 5 min so i forgot alot.What i did was make sure i got just about everything really good before i primered it you know sand all the scratches out.Then shot it with primer and then me and my friend jd(no not jack daniels :D ) sanded the whole car with 1500 grit paper and smoothed the whole carout so it was baby soft.Then i was instructed by my friend to shoot a very lite coat of color(orange) so it looks like i dusted it so the new paint would hold to the primer better.Then put on two nice coats of orange and that is the results right there in the pics.I used the mirrors from an 83 zx with the electro de-ice stuff and tinted. i plan to hook the power up to them soon so i can enjoy the luxary of power mirrors smile.gif If you need any more help rated i'll try to help.I'm no professional but i thought it turned out very good.I have to buff it out when it dries totally cuz the car has so much surface area i couldn't paint the whole car on one can(the can on the gun) of paint.I had to mix more and spray the other parts so i have some over spray on it i have to get off.This winter i plan to do it with base and clear when my friend comes back from BMW school and then we will get all tricky same color but metallic and some pearl into it to make it nicer with maybe a ghost z on the hood rockon.gif Oh ya you don't need a big tanked compressor just one that will constantly push out 30 to 40 psi.I would use alot of plastic if i was you the garage we painted in is just for storing cars for the winter so it didn't matter if it was orange tongue.gif