HybridZ

Rust protection

drunkenmaster

Hi,

Has anyone used some sort of rust prevention coating as the first layer during a bare metal respray?

I was at a zed restoration place and they use an epoxy coating that supposedly adheres to the metal very well, sealing it/protecting it from future rust. Primers etc are then applied on top of this.

Does anyone know of this and whether it is worthwhile or if there are alternative products on the market.

thanks

The shop was telling you about epoxy primer which I have used exactly the same way. Since the sandable, high-build primer is porous, it holds water but the epoxy stuff doesn't. I used PPG DP90 (may be illegal in some areas).

Just a coating of epoxy can be left to sit on the car for a while. But after a week it has to be lightly scuffed before spraying another coating on it.

Another choice you could use is etching primer. The people I have talked to go back and forth about whether it's needed under epoxy primer and I went without it. Others swear by it, it's your call.

Owen

I was able to get some brushable rust converter from the DIY store. I think you can spray it on as it cleans up with soap & water. It will convert any rust and seals the metal with a paintable (epoxy) coating.

I use a roller on the bottom of an old car, then sanded with rough paper, primer and satin black on top. Cam out smooth and nice looking.