HybridZ

to Z or not to Z

Welcome to Z's, and welcome to Hybridz.

• There's a wonderfully concise overview of the S30 series (240z, 260z, and 280z's) at wikipedia, here.

• Consider purchasing a couple of books put out by a fellow Californian, Mike Knell, of "Jags That Run". In particular consider the "Datsun 240z Conversion" manual, and the "Chevrolet TPI & TBI Engine Swap" book. Though they're about Chevy conversions, they thoroughly analyze all of those "little things" that you don't usually think about when contemplating a swap. They're surely the cheapest part of the swap, well worth the money regardless of what kind of madness you're preparing to embrace.

• Virtually every junior college in California has one or more "how to weld" classes, many in the evening, and they're cheap, too. Some free.

• Because Pharaohabq is right about these cars being old, consider buying "How to Restore Your Datsun Z-Car", here. Much of your project will be restoration, trust me on this.

• Just start reading Hybridz. Really, just browse and browse and browse. It sounds dry, but actually it's exciting - some of the people here have *ridiculously* cool ideas, many huge money savers, some brilliant, and a lot of them just plain cool. Take extensive notes (pencil and paper, notebook, the whole thing), start calculating costs (know it'll cost more), start estimating time (know it'll take longer), get an idea where you want to go with the swap. When I first started my swap, I probably spent a month reading every night, started at the first post ever made at Hybridz and read every single thread. Every one. Why? I needed to know the ins and outs, the kinds of things that were easy, and the kinds of things that caused problems. I followed threads that ended in sorrow, and threads that ended in joy, and eventually learned how to recognize the difference between "promising approach" and "spiraling down". Thus I avoided the latter, as have many others.

• On a related note to the above, don't believe anything you read any place else on the 'web. There's more BS out there than at a petunia farm. Just sayin'.

• Also, don't worry if some of these guys try to bust your balls. They enjoy ball-busting, which is why they have really stiff suspensions in their cars. Seriously. Very stiff springs.

Good luck. If you start down this road, you might find it one of the most fulfilling and satisfying things you've ever done.

:2thumbs: