HybridZ

Bump computer, car shuts down. Help?!

Hardwyre

So I've been working on changing the interior in my '76 280Z.

I've removed all the panels in preparation of putting in sound deadening, so now the computer sits open to air (Still mounted in its box however).

I was trying to leave radio shack one day and the car stalled. I checked spark, fuel pressure, all the troubleshooting steps and figured my injectors weren't firing, so I went to the computer, tapped it on the side, and the car fired right up.

I've found that at times, especially when idling, if I tap the computer housing, even lightly, it can result in the car stalling. When this happens, I either have to tap the housing again, or fidget with the main connector to get it to start up again. Let me add that the car will crank over all day long when the computer is acting up, it just won't fire up until I convince the box to play along.

I have tried using contact cleaner on the main plug and connector, I even opened up the computer, separated the boards, and examined them for shorts, bad solders, etc, and didn't notice anything wrong.

I'm at a loss as to what it might be; has any one else had this problem? It looks like the computer is solid state, and hitting bumps in the road doesn't seem to affect it. I'm just sort of unsure what is happening. I don't want to put the kick panel back over it until I solve it incase it decides to cut out again.

Any help is appreciated.

Might be that the ECU housing needs to be grounded and yours is loose. I don't know if it grounds through the data cable or not, but if it grounds through the housing, that could be checked and easily fixed. Bump once, lose ground, bump again, get it back...