HybridZ

Any modifications needed for Corbeau seats in a 240z?

boyracer

Question for anyone who has installed Corbeau TRS or CR1 seats in their Z, did they bolt right in with the Corbeau mounts? I have read that lots of people have modified the mounting brackets to deal with headroom issues. How much do the Corbeau brackets raise the seating position? I am 6' tall and there seems to be lots of room with the stock seats.

Also did anyone have issues with the seat hitting the door panel?

Thanks!

I have the Corbeau TRS seats installed in my early '71. I am right about 6' tall, as well. I don't have head-room issues, but my buddy who is a few inches taller (also on HybridZ- Moctezuma) did say that he had some head-room issues. I did some measuring against his stock '73 seats and the TRS w/Corbeau brackets, they sit about 1.5" inches higher than stock. Not a huge difference, IMO, but definitely noticeable. I am long-legged, with a rather short torso, so I, personally, favor leg-room to head-room.

My car is at the shop undergoing the V8 conversion, but I do plan on modifying the cross-piece that the brackets screw into on the floor-board. It's about 3" tall, so I think taking the height out there would be easiest. Maybe cutting that piece and then re-welding the angle back in to mount the bracket/slider assembly in the same place would work.

As far as the bolsters interfering with the door panel, it touches, but it doesn't really make it difficult to shut the door or cause any kind of damaging interactions between the panel and the seat.

Just my experience with the seats. They're like the most comfortable car-seats I've sat in. I don't like leather or vinyl, the cloth breathes so nicely in these.

Question for anyone who has installed Corbeau TRS or CR1 seats in their Z, did they bolt right in with the Corbeau mounts? I have read that lots of people have modified the mounting brackets to deal with headroom issues. How much do the Corbeau brackets raise the seating position? I am 6' tall and there seems to be lots of room with the stock seats.

Also did anyone have issues with the seat hitting the door panel?

Thanks!

I have a 77 and just got done installing the TRS into mine (literally yesterday). The stock brackets line up with the rear holes on the seat mount, and a set of unthreaded holes on the front seat mount. I guess they figured you would somehow put a nut and a washer through there to hold the seat on. When positioned on the stock seat mount the TRS sits way to high for comfort (I am 6' and with a thick haircut would be rubing the roof). There is only about 3 inches from the seat to the steering wheel. I removed both of the stock front seat mounts (not that bad about 3 hours work with a angle grinder and a die grinder). I replaced the front seat mounts by using 1" square tubing that is anchored by 1/4" steel plates welded to the transmission tunnel and the rocker panel. Under the 1" square tubing I used 1/4" steel plate to anchor to the floor. Once the bar is in place I welded some 1.5" pieces of 3/8 all thread to act as a mount for the seat in the front. I then cut the tabs off the corbeau sourced brackets and bolted them to the new seat mount, and the existing rear seat mount. I then trimmed the excess metal from the corbeau brackets (there were some misc ears and etc that werent used). Once you have the bracket trimmed you set it in the car ontop of the ears that you bolted in, tac weld it to hold geometry. Then unbolt it, put the bracket on the seat and test fit. I did this a total of about 4 times for each side until I go the fitment correct. You will find that on the drivers side you have to beat the crap out of that catalytic convertor hump to get the seat to fit, and you will want to get the sit as close to the transmission tunnel on both sides as possible. Once you get the fitment correct just remove the brackets from the seat, and burn them in good so the seat wont bust while you are going down the street. It was a decent amount of work but the seats do now fit properly in the car.

I will try and get some pictures up this weekend.

I look forward to seeing your pictures. I'm thinking about installing the TRS seats in my 72 240Z. I'm 6'2" so I'm curious how much leg room you have. BTW for whatever it's worth, if anyone is concerned about headroom you can order Corbeau reclining seats with 1 inch shaved off the bottom. I believe it's a $50 option.

I look forward to seeing your pictures. I'm thinking about installing the TRS seats in my 72 240Z. I'm 6'2" so I'm curious how much leg room you have. BTW for whatever it's worth, if anyone is concerned about headroom you can order Corbeau reclining seats with 1 inch shaved off the bottom. I believe it's a $50 option.

Who offers this? From the factory?

Here are some pictures of what it looks like. I will try and get a picture of the headroom and post up later. As you can see my next project is some floorboard repair.

Cool thanks!

I Plan on purchasing the Forza seats soon so I am interested in seeing what kind of head room you have.

Not too worried because the Forza is a couple inches smaller.

post-9706-003179000 1289341753_thumb.jpg

post-9706-082680300 1289341759_thumb.jpg

Cool thanks!

I Plan on purchasing the Forza seats soon so I am interested in seeing what kind of head room you have.

Not too worried because the Forza is a couple inches smaller.

The 2 inches wider in the shoulder is going to make it a tough fit.

The 2 inches wider in the shoulder is going to make it a tough fit.

Yea, I'm kinda nervous but below is a picture of the Forza seats in a Z. (wonder if the mounts were modified Cause that is looks really close) I'm mostly concerned with the clearance for my helmet.

post-9706-005392600 1289447177_thumb.jpg

Yea, I'm kinda nervous but below is a picture of the Forza seats in a Z. (wonder if the mounts were modified Cause that is looks really close) I'm mostly concerned with the clearance for my helmet.

Since the base is narrower you should be able to mount it closer to the centerline of the car, and it should fit. I think it will be very close to the door though.

Since the base is narrower you should be able to mount it closer to the centerline of the car, and it should fit. I think it will be very close to the door though.

Rucus01

Do you think the TRS wide would fit in a 240Z? The wings look ok but I don't know about the base. I would be mounting them without sliders. I don't need adjustability other than to fit the seat as far back as I can (6'2"). Your thoughts??

Thanks...

Rucus01

Do you think the TRS wide would fit in a 240Z? The wings look ok but I don't know about the base. I would be mounting them without sliders. I don't need adjustability other than to fit the seat as far back as I can (6'2"). Your thoughts??

Thanks...

It would be tough and I wouldnt want to try. The width at the base is just as a much a major obstacle as the width at the shoulder. I had to beat the transmission tunnel in signficantly to get the regular TRS to fit. I wouldnt think the wide is worth it unless you really need the width. I am not as slim as I use to be and I still fit fine in the narrow.

It would be tough and I wouldnt want to try. The width at the base is just as a much a major obstacle as the width at the shoulder. I had to beat the transmission tunnel in signficantly to get the regular TRS to fit. I wouldnt think the wide is worth it unless you really need the width. I am not as slim as I use to be and I still fit fine in the narrow.

rucus01

Thanks for the info. Just trying to get an idea if I'd fit in the TRS (non wide)....I'm 6'2" 225. Are you close to this size?

The seats look great.

Thanks

Tim

rucus01

Thanks for the info. Just trying to get an idea if I'd fit in the TRS (non wide)....I'm 6'2" 225. Are you close to this size?

The seats look great.

Thanks

Tim

I am about 6' and around 220. I fit fine in the narrow. I think they quote that it will fit a 38 inch waist.