HybridZ

87 z31 turbo lsd rear-end into 260z help!

voltron_boi

i have gotten access to a complete 1987 300zx turbo car and want to install the lsd differential into my s30. i was just wondering what other parts from the z31 do i need, in order to install the lsd r200 into my 260z. i have read through many topic here, but just double checking so i wont regret not taking the parts i need from the car, before it goes to the wrecking yard. thanks

Edited by voltron_boi

Well its not quite a "bolt in" kind of swap. The rear cover is much larger (deeper)and will not clear your rear most control arm bracket. That is the bracket that is bolted to BOTH sides of the left and right control arm. A custom bracket is needed. I am unaware of a part that you can order from a catalogue. I had to modify my stock bracket using 1/8 inch flat bar. You may also have to change the front driveshaft input flange. (the nose of the diff) Depending on the year/style of diff/tranny, and anyone who may have modified the car in the last 30 years Some diffs have a round or square flange. You don't mention if you have a R200 or R180 in your car. The 260 had some cross over parts from the 240 and 280 depending on the build date, so make sure you take stock of what YOU have to start with. Once you know that, you can figure what you will need to do. Best case is modify the rear control arm bracket and bolt the diff in...I won't even go into the worst case, as it depends on your starting point with your car.

BTW don't assume your car has X diff from the factory..who knows what may have been previously modified.

Good luck!

^what he said.

And also modern motorsports sells the brace. It took me 6 months to get in contact with ross to accually buy it though... so good luck on that.

An alternative is to swap covers. Put a stock r200 smooth cover on the r200lsd from the 300zx. No modification or brace would be needed. You also need a 280z mustach bar for the 300zx diff if you dont already have one or if you car isnt modified with one. Also you will need the input flanges to each halfshaft and halfshafts from a 280z, or cv shafts from a 280zx(adapter needed that modern motorsports sells) or cv shafts from a 300zx... again adapter needed from modern motorsports.

Cheapest way? Find a 280z in a boneyard and get the mustach bar, diff cover, both halfshafts w/ input flanges(how the half shafter connect to the differential) they snap in and snap out.

Accually I take that back. I have a cover I can sell you. a smooth r200 cover. Hows 35$+shipping?

Correct me if im wrong. So basically I need just the r200 LSD from the z31 and along with the cv axle from the car. Nothing else from the rear-end will be needed onto the 260. Everything else will be need from the 280z with r200.

Boostdz: I'll think about your r200 cover if I can't find one.

Will the 280zx turbo halfshafts work? Because i have access to a pair of them from my privous swap back then. I'll just save the 300zx turbo cv untill I get a hold of mm.

\/

Also you will need the input flanges to each halfshaft and halfshafts from a 280z, or cv shafts from a 280zx(adapter needed that modern motorsports sells) or cv shafts from a 300zx... again adapter needed from modern motorsports.