HybridZ

Polyaniline rust preventative coatings.. your experience?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Has anyone used... or even HEARD of this stuff?

Check out the following info:

"the special coating, based on polyaniline, reacts chemically with metal to form an almost biological skin." The article says that the polyaniline "acts as a catalyst and actually exploits the start of the rusting process to create and continually renew its protective skin."

and

Plastic coatings extend cars' lives

It's supposed to be 10x (in the real world) or 10,000x (in a cushy lab environment) better than galvanizing steel. A search didn't reveal much, but I did find:

"DuPont Zypan polyaniline—a key ingredient in the Corrpassiv anti-corrosion coating system for industrial use."

and

12/15/2001 (http://www.finishing.com/77/62.html)

"Yes you can coat polyaniline onto a car or a boat. Ormecon sells a commercial product at this time. Or you can buy it from Aldrich in doped or undoped form and disperse it in NMP or formamide or p-cresol. Have fun. "

and

Bridges that never rust?

Apparently it can be had in a clear coating from a German company called Zipperling. Their product is a primer called CORPASSIV.

I haven't found a place to actually purchase it yet though.

I haven't heard much on the real world performance, it is not yet widely available, and being in the Pipeline industry, I am always trying to stay on top of such products. I believe that the price point would put this stuff out of reach of most of us. Plus unlike stuff like Hammerite or POR 15, the metal has to be shiny clean and has to be primered and then top coated with their system: $$$$$

I also am not aware of any non-industrial suppliers in the USA.

If you come up with something more, please let us know.

Tim

PVDF (polyvanylideneflouride - or flouropolymers)are widely used in all kind of severe application coating - from chemical processing to architectural to automotive. The resin has superior UV resistance as well, but for our interests, the cost is way out of hand, and the product is usually not available outside of industrial distribution channels. The resin is ground and then mixed into paint, which is then sprayed onto the substrate. House of Kolors utilizes Valspar products, but I'm unsure which may contain PVDF, but Valspars' Flouropon line is PVDF based.

An interesting side note is that this resin has been used in large gear coating applications for noise abatement...and is machineable!

Valspar (IL) does handles distribution and provides a coating service for the AtoFina line of PVDF products (called Kynar 500)and might be a source for those interested.......

Valspar