HybridZ

fuel only install

Cavinder

Hey everybody. I have searched and didn't find much in the way of help on this subject. I'm wanting to install megasquirt to control fuel only, for a while until I get everything figured out on it anyway. For a simple install that uses all of the stock sensors except the AFM how hard would it be to create an entirely new harness for the injection system only. This is going into a 77 280z, all stock other than the botched factory wiring thanks to the P.O. Would it be easier and quicker to just make a new harness, or to try and use the factory harness and just run a couple of new wires? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There is no rule that requires a new harness for a MS install. Download the EFI Bible in the Troubleshooting section and all of the wiring diagrams show the wire numbering on the stock FI harness. The wires actually have numbers on them so it is very easy to know which wire you are dealing with.

Use the facotory harness. You will not need to add any new wires. You will, however, have to spend many, many hours figuring this stuff out. Every answer is out there - both on Hybrid and the several MS sites/forums. Good luck.

I created my fuel only harness in a few days. Keep in mind, I'm nowhere close to being electronics friendly!

I bought the wiring bundle, 7 injector connectors, the relay board, and a butt load of heatshrink. It wasn't all that difficult, connect your 15' lengths of labled wire to the associated sensors and bundle them together. Figure out where you want to mount the ecu and relay board, route your wires how you like and cut to length. Then its a matter of attaching the various wires to the sockets on the reay board.

I assume it would be a little more difficult if you were to make up your own relay harness. I took the easy way out and I'm glad I did!