HybridZ

1jzgte to z tacho

Guest johnymaddog

Guest johnymaddog

I've just finished putting a soarer 1jz with r154 into my '73 240z. It's at the exhaust shop at the moment so I've been thinking about gauges while I wait. I actually like the z gauge and I'm planning on keeping as many as possible. I'll change the amp/fuel for a volt/fuel and swap out the clock for a similar looking boost gauge. I'd like to keep the tacho so does anyone know how to convert the ECU pulse output to the current sensing z one. I've heard there's an adapter that's suitable. If not, I'm thinking of using the tacho off another toyota and fitting it behind the z face.

Any ideas or advice welcome.

I've just finished putting a soarer 1jz with r154 into my '73 240z. It's at the exhaust shop at the moment so I've been thinking about gauges while I wait. I actually like the z gauge and I'm planning on keeping as many as possible. I'll change the amp/fuel for a volt/fuel and swap out the clock for a similar looking boost gauge. I'd like to keep the tacho so does anyone know how to convert the ECU pulse output to the current sensing z one. I've heard there's an adapter that's suitable. If not, I'm thinking of using the tacho off another toyota and fitting it behind the z face.

Any ideas or advice welcome.

I have a 1jzgte in my 75 280z

The 280z tach worked great with the stock tach signal. It's off by about 5-8% at high rpms, good enough.

I put a VDO black face boost gauge where my clock was. Check my thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/84424-my-first-z/

Guest johnymaddog

Just read your thread. I thought I was quick taking 2 months but you've just put me to shame. Mines in having the 3" exhaust made at the moment, can't afford the downpipe yet though. I'll look at the tacho when I get the car back, be great if I can use it as I'm out of money now. My gearbox is out of a soarer so its an electronic speedo output. Any idea if the mechanical bit is the same on other toyota gearboxes? or the part number I need? Have you tried using the z temp gauge with the 1jz sender? how accurate is it?

On the charging circuit, how have you connected the 3 small wires? The sensing wire is done because I used the soarer fusebox. The charge light would go to the same wire as the l connector on the z? The other one, I think black/yellow on plug by ECU, is just an ignition feed? Much load?

• 1 month later...

Just read your thread. I thought I was quick taking 2 months but you've just put me to shame. Mines in having the 3" exhaust made at the moment, can't afford the downpipe yet though. I'll look at the tacho when I get the car back, be great if I can use it as I'm out of money now. My gearbox is out of a soarer so its an electronic speedo output. Any idea if the mechanical bit is the same on other toyota gearboxes? or the part number I need? Have you tried using the z temp gauge with the 1jz sender? how accurate is it?

On the charging circuit, how have you connected the 3 small wires? The sensing wire is done because I used the soarer fusebox. The charge light would go to the same wire as the l connector on the z? The other one, I think black/yellow on plug by ECU, is just an ignition feed? Much load?

The 1jz stock temp sensor reads about 1/3 up the Z temp gauge at operating temp. Works well enough for me.

The Alternator wiring is simple. Obviously the main charge back wire goes the the battery + terminal. The wires at the 1jz alternator are for B+, coil wire (ign +) and charge lamp. You can actually run the B+ wire and coil wire together from any IGN switched 12v. The other wire you can hook up to a charge lamp if you want. Use a multimeter to make sure it's charging properly when you hook it up.

Get the mechanical sender from a USDM Mk3 supra turbo r154... worked for me.

Good luck, the reward of your work will be awesome! I need an LSD and better tires BAD lol