HybridZ

How Do I Remove The Windshield?

Guest TKR514

I'm restoring the ZX and had it looks to have some rust starting near the windshield area. I want to remove the windshield and clean up and paint under/around that area then reinstall a new windshield.

Soooo, how does one remove the windshield? And not bend the chromed trim?

Thanks!

Guest greimann

You have to remove the chrome trim from all edges. You have to use a windshield trim removal tool for the top and the bottom. It is slim sheetmetal type of tool that has an arrow shaped head. You slide the tool under the trim and disnegage each little tab on the retaining strip one at a time. You can find theses tools at autoparts stores. They are pretty universal.

Getting the windshield out is a whole other project. You will need a windshield knife that is essentially a thin cable, like a camping saw, that you pull back a forth and saw your way through the sealant.

This is a miserable job and if you can have a pro do it, all the better. Ask Dave Karey about it, he just did his!

Don't pry the glass with a screwdriver, otherwise you'll get glass in your face! If you don't want to keep the weatherstrip, I just used a sharp blade and cut thru it all the way around in between the glass and body. Then have someone help you lift the glass out.

Owen

I will probably order new Windshield and weatherstrip from Victoria British so I guess that I can cut away at the old seal.

So the trim is held on by "tabs"? Just wonering how to find these tabs and how many there might be? Thanks!

Guest greimann

Owen is referring to a first generation windshield that is different than a ZX. There is no weather strip. The windshield is bonded in with urethane sealant. And yes, protect your eyes and throw a blanket over the interior too to keep as much glass out as possible.

The tabs are part of a plastic retaining strip that is bonded in with the windshield. There are probably 15 to 20 clips on each strip. You find them by sliding that moulding tool under the trim until you feel one and then give it a little tug to release the clip. If you are ordering parts, be sure to get new retaining strips for the top and bottom and install them with the windshield.

Wow! 15 to 20 clips on each strip! bonk.gif I guess I'll get the tool tonight and start fishing around... My biggest fear is bending the trim & have to replace it. I'd guess that 280ZX trim would be more expensive than the new windshield itself.

I got the trim off last night without bending it! Yahoo! Only surprise were a bunch of screws hidden under the door weather stripping that hold on the side pieces. I used a single edge blade to cut the adhesive/clips on the top and bottom.

I'll leave the glass in place while I works on a few rust spots, and prime/paint around that area. I'll swapp the glass just prior to final painting.

Thanks all!

Guest greimann

If you are working on rust around the winshield pocket, there is a good chance that it has migrated under the seal. Better investigate before you finish with the rust repair. For added protection and a better finish, I would recommend you do the final paint first and then have the windshield installed.

Good idea. I think that the rust is from rock chipping of the paint arround the trim work but.....

as long as I'm in there it's probably wise to go ahead & paint the full pocket. I would hate to have to do this TWICE! Thanks for the suggestion.

OMG you are in for a treat. when you pull that seal, you will find that the rust has made its way where you cant see. i had to get a chisel and grinder to eventually get rid of everything, bondo it back up perfectly so the window sits right, and paint it all. i am still working on it as i havent found a windsheild seal. its been about 2 weeks since i drove my car. and the worst thing about it, is that my girlfriends 79 has the same problem and is next in line right after mine. it never ends cry2.gifbonk.gif