HybridZ

Air Dam and Flare questions...

Guest Zachb55

Well its coming to the point where i need to start buying my body parts so i can get them painted along with the rest of the car. I was wondering if you could take the 50-1421 MSA Dam, which says its for a 74.5-78 cars, and put it on a 72 240Z??? if i took it and put one of their fiberglass 240Z bumpers on it, along with a later turn signal setup, will it all look ok? My other question is this, how hard is it to put on the MSA "Street" Flares their part number 50-1551/52 and i think these are the same ones:

nicefenders.jpg

i hope those are the same ones... it says "Nice custom molded look after installation by competent body shop", you think i could install them on my own??? i got some bodywork skill and think it couldnt be a whole lot harder than rounding out a bumpy roof... tell me what you guys think.

Thanks

-Zach

oh yeah, also, it says it requires wider than stock tires/rims, i think i have slightly wider ones, will it not work without wider tires??? i mean i dont care if it looks goofy for a coupke of months, as long as they work...

Guest Anonymous

If you straightened out a roof..fender flares may not be more of a challange. Go for it! By the time you get those flaeres smoothed out ..you will have the tires so it will not look so stupid ...but sooner or later ...stress fractures will appear between metal and fiberglass ....but with the quality of body putty and epoxy paint ..it might be much later

hmm, ok i do wish they were the same ones, but when i look really hard at the ones one that car and the ones in the magazine, i see the little differences... :( dont worry about answering the question about the Air dam, i think ive lost interest in it, and have found a cheaper route, thanks for the info!

-Zach

Guest Anonymous

to answer your question about the airdam, yes what you proposed will work and it does look good. Lots of people are doing this now do to the fact that the 240 style turn signals have become quite pricey. Motorsports sells 2 different sized flares, the street flare which is most commonly seen and the race flare which is 3 1/2" wide, and requires at least an 8" wide wheel with 4" of backspacing to look good. Also, if you use the late model airdam you will need to use the 280 grill. Hope this helps.

Which front air dam is that on the above car? Is it the 95-810 from Victoria British or maybe one form Motorsport? I'm looking to get one, and that one looks like what I want?

Max

I sure do like those flares, i had a Victoria British catalog and i seem to have lost it twak.gif ... So i ordered another one, i hope it hurries up and gets here, because i gotta get those parts ordered so i can get my car painted smile.gif ...

I really like that rear spoiler as well. metal screwed or pop-riveted? It would seem that at a high enough speed that would be a lot of bending stress on the rivets or screws. That would worry me.

I suppose that one could connect a couple of tension rods to it but that might be unsightly on a street car. I was considering this and thought of something that I would like some opinions on.

What if you took two pieces of sheet aluminum that are half as thick and glue them together with aero' adhesive (with the large surface area it would NEVER come apart). Then, you could have the small bending overlap along the outside of the hatch (as in the picture) and a second one on top.

Something like this (side view - please ignore the dots I needed them to line it up or it's WAY off):

... ll

... ll

... ll

. --l