HybridZ

tranny options

Guest enzo210

Guest enzo210

well i am building a budget l28et for a 1982 datsun pickup and the transmission from the truck looked like the might bolt up (i know the hp diff) and to my surprise after disassembling the trans i put the bell housing on the block and it is almost perfect a small gap between the engine plate and the bell housing.....i just wanted to know if anyone has done this already????

You managed to fit the L28 in there!? I've got an L20B 75' 620 and It looks tight with just the straight 4 in there. I know someone here locally tried to fit an RD28 and ended up having problems with the shift knob being so far back that it just wasn't practical without cutting up the radiator support and doing major surgery to the firewall. That being said I wish you all the luck in your project, but I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you. Have you looked at keeping the L28 bellhousing and just swapping the gearboxes?

I've seen a few people on Ratsun that cut up L28 EFI intakes down to four runners and made their own turbo exhaust manifolds and turbo'd the stock truck block, have you considered that route? Might be less work in the long run...

Guest enzo210

i got a 1982 s130 for 150$ engine,turbo ,trans,diff everything full interior but it was a automatic so i can't steal the front bell housing off that trans cause it's a one piece auto.....and yea it's gonna be a super tight fit my trusty 4 1/2 grinder with a cutting blade has been making room for it tho hehehe.......well i got the 280z for 150 and i got the 1982 dat 720 for 150 so i am trin to keep this as low budget as possible.....i am only going for around 300 hp with this rebuild dose anyone have a idea of used stock turbo that can get me up there i was lookin at a hy35 but can't find any in my price range has anyone ever tried to use a 7.3 ford turbo????? they are a Garrett....just trin to get some ideas

Guest enzo210

no offense but no.....it is not exactly the same....the truck transmission dose fit on the block dowels.....front bellhousing half is bolted right now and the truck trans is a little bigger despite the lower hp rating i got a small gap between the motor plate and bellhousing now i just gotta get my main studs throw the crank in and see if i can get a s13 ring gear (all i got right now) to meet up with the starter

Edited by enzo210

• Administrators

no offense but no.....it is not exactly the same....the truck transmission dose fit on the block dowels.....front bellhousing half is bolted right now and the truck trans is a little bigger despite the lower hp rating i got a small gap between the motor plate and bellhousing now i just gotta get my main studs throw the crank in and see if i can get a s13 ring gear (all i got right now) to meet up with the starter

No offense, but yes the L6 WILL bolt up to the trans if the trans was behind a LZ22-LZ24. ALL L-series engines and LZ engines interchange the bell housing, L13, L16, L18, L20A, L20B, LZ20, LZ22, LZ24.

Also, please take the time to read the forum rules and guidelines, upper right corner of the screen. Your posts are in violation of rule#5, which if continues, posting privileges will be suspended.

Here is another link that more throughly explains our position on the part of Rule #5 that your pots violate;

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/64626-lazybroken-shift-keys-rant-does-this-apply-to-you-lets-clean-it-up-please/