HybridZ

Good LS donor car ?

Well I've been working out a V8 swap for my 78 Z for some time. I already have most of what it will take for a series 1/t56 swap but as you all know Plans Change!

A friend of mine has offered me his mint 2002 Camaro SS 6 speed.

Completely stock drivetrain LS1/T56. 30K miles. Black leather interior.

Enthusiast owned and maintained; mobile 1 oil/KN filter change every 1500 miles-(Silly IMO but far better than not often enough).

It's a fully documented (orignal paperwork/window sticker) 1 owner car. Original owner is an old guy as well (55+) but is still a hotrodder. He was planning to keep it forever but sadly it was assassinated by an Evil Dodge Ram driven by a distracted youngster. Solid rear strike. Insurance totaled it. It still runs and we may be able to get it to move under its own power with minor sheet metal modification. Did not rupture the gas tank or deploy the airbags.

From what I have searched on this forum and other sources seems to point to these late F bodies as being the better doner for a LS swap into a early Z.

Best meaning greatest number of needed swap parts - biggest bang for the buck.

Does anyone have a better choice? Alternate opinions?

What should someting like this be worth? At what point is it a steal?

I know, that's real hard to say without seeing the car. I'm just trying to get a ballpark feel for value here.

I intend to place the car on jackstands and do a detailed inspection of what is damaged before purchase.

Is there a best year/model regarding donor cars?

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

firs off, you need to do a little research on the ol gen 3 series engines

ls1tech.com

Yes, camaros are pretty much the best for swap donors.

any 99 and up LS1 is a good engine, 98's are still good, just kind of the red headed step child

and yes, without seeing it, its impossible to tell what it would be worth. judging by what you said, I'd say the hatch, spoiler, both rear quarters, rear bumper, and everything else back there is FUBAR. That being said, a low mile powertrain as such would easily bring 3500++ I'd say if you could pick the car up for 5K or less, it's going to be a money maker.

my .02

Here is a list of differences between F-Bodys over the 98-02 years:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27515

I'm not the most knowledgeable on LS1 motors but I believe 01 and 02 are the most desirable of the F-Body LS1s. This is because they came with LS6 intake and clutch. I guess if you already intend to change the intake and clutch you probably wouldnt care. Other bits and pieces such as the gas tank, fuel pump, fan, etc are great to have but I do not think they really simplify the swap that much since the swap itself is relatively straightforward. I bought the pumps, fans, etc separately and used the stock tank. Getting those parts did not slow me down or make the swap any harder.

Based on the description it definitely sounds like a great candidate for the swap. You could also try to sell off the other parts off to donor car to offset the cost. I dont know about Camaros but black leather interior pieces are generally desirable for people looking to put them in their cars. Also undamaged front end parts, fenders, lights, etc are generally desirable as well I think. The LS motor/trans packages from what I've seen seem to list for 3-6000+ on ebay so use that as a starting point.

Edited by h4nsm0l3m4n