HybridZ

New U-Joint Installation Question

zane9000

So last night my car's rear end clunk got tired of waiting for me to fix it. The inner left half shaft u-joint snapped. So I have my new u-joint here and it has a note saying to make sure it is fully greased. But I pull off the bearing caps and it looks like there is already grease in there. Do I add more?

Also, there is a threaded hole in the side and along with the clips is what looks like a little valve. Do I need to do something other than just screw in the valve? What is this for? Do I fill it with extra grease first?

Sorry if this has been answered before. I tried searching and couldn't find anything specific about greasing these things.

Thanks!

The "lttle valve" is a Zerk fitting. It's made to fit the nozzle of a grease gun. Grease guns and Zerk fittings used to be everywhere back before today's age of the sealed bearing. Greasing things used to be part of regular maintenance. If you examine your tie rod ends and ball joints on the front of your car, you will probably find more Zerk fittings under the grease and grime.

http://fittingsandadapters.com/greaszerfit.html

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?viewType=gal&psid=21x65099&viewItems=24&keyword=grease+gun&i_cntr=1292367568232&sid=ISx20070515x00001a

If you want to grease them, make sure you grease them until your grease pushes out the old grease out the seal. Most u-jounts come ready to be installed and pregreased. You will want to grease it later, Not fresh out the box. Never mix grease together.