HybridZ

Straighten Rear Valence - Gal-Dern Sheet Metal

Guest thinkmonkey

Guest thinkmonkey

The rear valence on my car is way out of whack and needs some serious straightening. How can I do this and how have you guys? I'm shaving over the exhaust indentation so all I need to do is curve it properly and to curve the lower portions of the rear quarter panels. I was thinking of welding a length of straight steel on to the lower edge of the valence just behind and on the inside out of view to give some reference, and then temporarily welding 3 or 4 lengths of steel tubing from the bar to the frame, triangular style, to give some strength. From there I have a solid foundation to work from. Any ideas? It looks to me that on some z's that area wasn't even made straight in the first place and sort of v'ed in. Thanks.

-David

Originally posted by 280Zone:

Well, I am not sure what year your car is but I did this to my 75. The 75 is the worst year to do this to because they have the most holes and indentations.

http://zdriver.com/rides/spec/pix/280zone_1038551597.jpg

Would you mind telling me a little more about how you smoothed off the rear end like that? I've also got a '75 and have been debating for some time now over how I should go about smoothing it all off. Your car looks awesome!

Thanks

Gene

To smooth the rear end I removed the bumpers, bumpercaps, bumper shocks, along with all of the side marker lights. Then cut metal patch panels to cover all of the holes. Once those were welded in place the whole panel was given a good grinding. As you can see here.

http://zdriver.com/rides/detailride.php?cat=1&relIdx=16&vehId=42

Then skim coated the panel with bondo and then polyester spot putty. I had an expert body guy sand it down for the proper look. I have other "in progress" pictures if you are interested I can email them to you.

Thanks for the compliment.

David I would like to suggest that you "French" the rear side marker lights. I have some pictures of mine but I don't have any way other than email to show them. If you would like to see them give me an email address or if someone else would like to post them I will email them to whomever.

Dragonfly

Guest thinkmonkey

E-mail me at thinkmonkey@ hotmail.com. I was planning on shaving them but I'm open to ideas.

Right now I'm going to shave the antennae hole, gas door, all side turn signals, door handles, quarter emblems, 240z badges, and rear bumper. Really the only body 'distractions' I'm leaving are the hatch keyhole, and the chrome around the drip rails and windows. I considered shaving the drip rails but that is to much of a gamble. For the hood ornament I called the Nissan dealership and ordered a 350z fender emblem, which is pictured here:

3350z_gal_big14.jpg

For the front end I'm going with the MSA II air dam, which is actually a compromise for me. It's not exactly the prettiest, but it's better than anything else. Underneath the sheetmetal will be a GM performance 350ho (vortec iron heads, cast alu-pistons, hotter cam, intake air gap, 750cfm holley 4 bbl), whipple s/c pushing about 5lbs, t56, 3.9 rearend (if only I could find a lsd), 17 inchers, and a full roll cage, tower to tower, protecting my ass. I just wish I'd have been more reasonable when building this thing. Oh well.

-David

Looks like you hooked another one, Sumo!
Sumo.. LMAO.. Eric (Sleek Zee) has the best eyes for detail around this side of the Mississsippi..... Wrap it up and mail it all to him...
Yeah, im afraid i did bonk.gif I dont mean too flamedevil.gif It looks like i have to get the car out of my sig. :(

By the way SleekZ heres a link it explains everything.

Pls. dont hate me because im beautiful! eek2.gif

http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=001196;p=2

Guest Zachb55

im about to undetake in this process on my 72', actually i already have started, and my valance is kindof "wavy" at the bottom so the idea about the piece of steel across the bottom sounds good. im kindof restricted by time, because im getting my license soon and i want to be able to drive it so i need to finish up the body work and get painting soon... but i will probably go with a strip like that and then some supports up to the frame.

280ZONE -- very nice job on that, i certainly hope i can reach that level of beauty on mine, well we'll just have to see when i get there. good job though 2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif

-Zach

Guest thinkmonkey

I plan on completely shaving over the rear valence sorta like this picture here web page except there will be no cutout for the exhaust. I'm going to run dual exhaust poking out from underneath the valence, 350z style but only because it is easier than shaping another cutout and making it look good. I think I'll just cut it out and english wheel it at my friends shop. Any ideas for the bottom rear quarters?

-David

Sumo,

I tried to email you through Hybridz link in your message above, but it isn't working for me. How can I contact you about your Z car front end mods shown above? Either that or do you have some more photos of it online somewhere?

Thanks much,

• 4 years later...
I've drilled out the spot welds to remove the rear valence from the car and straightened it out on an english wheel. I've also done hammer/dolly work on the the rear valence. The most expeditious route would be to obtain a new one, and replace the old one.

Dragging this back up.

Anyone else have any experience with English wheels? I have a new MSA rear valence which is mostly flat and not curved correctly to fit the rear of my '73. Because it needs to be curved in two directions, I think an English wheel is just the ticket.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.