HybridZ

gronding of the LC-1 wiring

madkaw

Not sure if I'm in the correct forum for this discussion, but here it goes!

I just finished wiring up my LC-1 in N/A L24. I think I followed the instructions correctly and the G3 guage tests correctly. The instructions are pretty specific on grounding the components, but for me they are a bit confusing, I did SOLDER all the grounds together as instructed .

When I made new cables for my battery I included an extra 10 guage wire on the negative side for additional grounding purposes. I ran that ground to the chassis and tied it into(going from memory here)the same lug that was across from the starter. From there I ran another 10 guage into the car behind the heater panel and tied it into the chassis bolt hole on the tranny tunnel behind the fuse box. This is where I bolted down the lug for the LC-1 ground. The Lc-1 is the only thing grounded at this spot. But, I also wanted to use this ground to tie into my stereo ground and another wire harness ground. So instead of grounding everything on one lug(which is supposedly a no-no according to the instructons), I jumpered the 10 guage off of LC-1 ground to another body hole and ground the stereo stuff to that ground.

does this sound correct or will this cause issues later? Below are the grounding instructions. it does state that it is best to ground to the engine block, but I thought I have done this-but maybe in a round about way by using this route through the battery negative cable-which is grounded to the engine.

1. The BEST grounding scheme is all grounds (i.e., ECU, Gauges, LC1 heater, LC1

system, etc.) SOLDERED into a single lug and bolted to the engine block.

2. The next best is all grounds attached to the same source, as close as possible, but on

separate lugs. This is because even the corrosion between lugs can create ground

offset and noise. Incidentally, this is why many ECUs have separate ground wires for

injectors vs. ECU system ground- separating high voltages and low voltages reduces

noise.

3. Grounding to the engine block is usually better than grounding to the frame.

4. Grounding a gauge to the radio is usually bad- ground offset can vary with volume.

5. Grounding to an ECU housing is generally not optimal- housings are strapped to the

frame for shielding, but not necessarily grounded.

6. One of the WORST things to do is to ground most of your electronics to one place (i.e.

the engine block), but ground one device somewhere else (i.e., the frame). Not only can

this result in ground offsets, it can also create a “path of least resistance†for high

currents THROUGH a low-current device. This can result in melted wires and vaporized

diodes, when, for example, starter currents flow through gauges