HybridZ

Found a mystery cam, please help

Empire

Went to the wrecker today because my friend said there was a 280z there and I was looking for the hood to put on my 240. Well he's blind because it was a 280zx. But, the head was already sitting in the hatch area so I thought I'd take a look. Head was an N47 which is useless for me, but it had a Crane Cam in it. I've tryed looking and can't find info on this cam so here is what was stamped on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Crane Cam (L28) "DA 272-260 (maybe 210, hard to read what I wrote in marker) and below that 68-34 93.

Took the cam, the rockers (marked them 1-12 starting from the back of the head), the pivots, and both spring things. I left the valve springs as I didn't have the correct tool to remove them.

The cam will need to be cleaned up but for $50 for everything I figured it wasn't a total waste of a trip.

I've got 2 motors to build from. I have an L24 with an E88 head, and an L28 with an N42 head. From what I've read there's no sense in swapping the heads around right? I'll be going with triple Webers, 5spd, twice pipes.

The Cranes were good cams, I used to run this one which is their stage 2. The lobe base circles allow you to use the stock lash pads and spring, all you need are new rocker arms. Running it on a stock compression ratio will loose some bottom end torque though, the 10:1 minimum recommendation is accurate.

This is probably the spec sheet you have....

Part Number: 168-0012

Grind Number:DA-272-2-10

Engine Identification:

Start Yr.End Yr. Make Cyl Description

1970 1984 DATSUN-NISSAN 6 GOOD IDLE, DAILY PERFORMANCE USAGE, GOOD LOW AND MID-RANGE HP, AUTOCROSS, RALLYING, 10.0 TO 11.5 COMPRESSION RATIO ADVISED. BASIC RPM 2200-5600

Engine Size 2393-2753 C.C.

Valve Setting: Intake 0.15 MM Exhaust 0.20 MM HOT

Lift: Intake @Cam 7.41 MM @Valve 11.43MM All Lifts are based on zero lash and theoretical rocker arm ratios.

Exhaust @ Cam 7.41 MM @Valve 11.43MM

Rocker Arm Ratio 1.541

Cam Timing: VALVE @.254 MM

Lift: Opens Closes ADV Duration

Intake 27 BTDC 65 ABDC 272 °

Exhaust 72 BBDC 30 ATDC 282 °

Spring Requirements: Triple Dual Outer Inner

Part Number 99884

Loads Closed 90 LBS @ 42.1MM or 1 21/32

Open 180 LBS @ 31.4MM

Recommended RPM range with matching components

Minimum RPM 2200

Maximum RPM 5600

Valve Float --

Cam Timing: VALVE @1.0 MM

Lift: Opens Closes Max Lift Duration

Intake 11 BTDC 41 ABDC 105 232 °

Exhaust 56 BBDC 6 ATDC 115 242 °

The rockers may be matched, but the valve seat heights on the head you got it from, and the one you're putting it in are going to be off by minor amounts.

Since it's a junkyard cam you may want to risk it, but getting the rockers reground by Delta cams is a good idea. Noting worse than having a lobe grind down after 2000 miles.

-Bryan