HybridZ

Ebay Headers

I know there's no "real" way to tell if they'll fit, until someone buys them and tries them, but what do you think?

This is a picture that I stole from the Ebay posting, and then from their measurements I extrapolated the rest of the measurements. By my measures, I think they will fit. The only thing I don't know, however, is if there will be steering shaft interference, as mine isn't installed right now.

Oh, and BTW, I'd be running these in the down and forward position. Don't ask questions :P

LS1-shorty-ebay-headers.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-LS6-Stainless-Shorty-Chevrolet-Engine-Swap-Header-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255edade50QQitemZ160505192016QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2480wt_1027

Edited by SUNNY Z

They will very likely run into the alternator (using a F-Body FEAD) on the driver side if I am understanding how you plan to install them.

And that's my next question, would it be able to mount it high, on the passenger's side, like all the F body turbo guys do? Exactly how much room is there between the top of the intake and the hood?

One spark plug looks like it would be really hot, with that header going under the other one.

I think it would be ok ;)

I'm much more concerned with the actual fitment. I'm either gonna buy these, and see if they're returnable, or buy a header builder kit, and get after it...........

The passenger side is a definate no-go....

Cable, were you referencing the shorty headers, or the ones posted later?

If there's even a chance that you think they'll fit, I'll see about buying some (only if i can return them haha)

Also, I'm not even close to my car right now (200+ miles away), so would they fit in the up and forward position, or would they be too high for the hood? I think they'd be too high, but that's just from memory. Thanks!

Well i picked up a pair of these from a friend locally (what luck!) just to borrow at this point. They fit :twisted: in 1 position. Its my birthday, so I need to go do some mandatory celebrating. I'll leave you hanging till at least tomorrow, when I'll get some pics, and more info! :-P

Shorty's or long tubes?

The exact header in the pictures. Shorties. In the up and forward position they fit the best. Down and forward the passenger side has clearance issues (solvable) and in the down and back position,the drivers side has a slight contact area with the steering shaft. Being that I'm leaning toward turbo more and more each day, I'm thinking that i could likely modify them to work in the down and back, and then go up and forward in the future. Time will tell. I have a ton of photos, which I'll upload and post accordingly soon.

I thought about it, but that just seems like an unnecessary amount of piping. As it is, I'd sooner notch the frame rail, and mod the headers, or build a set of headers. Building headers is still a slight possibility at this point, but I'd make them out of mild, since I don't have a TIG welder, and then I'd have to have them coated, so there is a bit of added cost.

I'll go look for my camera in just a bit, and post those pictures. I've been severely unmotivated to even leave the house...... 10" of snow will do that to you.

Here is how they look with a truck water pump, in the forward and up position.

SDC10054.jpg

Drivers side Forward and Down

SDC10046.jpg

Pass F&D has some interference

SDC10044.jpg

amount shown here: Most of the interference is with the mount, the tab that faces the frame rail at about a 45* down specifically. Also, there looks to be some interference with the frame rail, but the mount hits first, so its hard to tell how much. I think it would be easily solvable if you didn't mind hacking up the header.

I'm gonna remove the mount when I take out the engine, and see how much the frame rail is actually interfering. Hell I might make a different mount for the passenger side if I get to feelin frisky! (that way i could run 2 clamshells, and put poly motor mounts in them :) )

SDC10049.jpg

Here is a 98 F-body pass side mani in the F&D on the DS

SDC10040.jpg

no SS interference or block / mount at all

SDC10041.jpg

SDC10039.jpg

Here is a picture to show the crazy amount of room under the headers, when they're F&U

This is 4" pipe for the record! and I think i could use a 4" oval to get past the starter / frame rail area. I don't know where I'd put my coils if I went this route though...........

SDC10034.jpg

Good strut tower clearance on the DS F&U

SDC10033.jpg

Pass side is closer, but I think could work with Hight temp paint

SDC10031.jpg

Thoughts / opinions?

Edited by SUNNY Z

...I don't know where I'd put my coils if I went this route though...

Here is where I'm mounting mine. In the second photo a final rotational alignment still needs to be done before mounting to the panel. In the third photo they are resting on the guard and need to be raised 50mm or so. I've also revised the bracket design from this first attempt. I trust you get the idea. (This is a RHD vehicle)

post-1266-056767700 1295561885_thumb.jpg

post-1266-047198800 1295561941_thumb.jpg

post-1266-047964700 1295562310_thumb.jpg