HybridZ

Cracking finish at body joint below top of hatch.

Guest Anonymous

I think you are referring to the body joint on the pillar? There is some lead filler there. I know because when I rewelded the seam when I cut off my drip rails, the lead began to melt out.

As for repairing it ??????

Maybe RacerX will chime in.

TIm

Guest Anonymous

I have a 71 240 and have had continuing problems with the paint cracking at the body joint just below the top of the back hatch opening on the passengers side. I looked at the area about a year ago, noted some previous repair work but no

rust. The joint on the driver side seems ok. Has anyone had similiar problems? What do you suggest to strengthen the area? I am fixing up all the problem areas prior to a full repaint but want the car to be presentable in the meantime. What type of fillers should be used? Is lead the way to go? HELP!

Do you mean the hatch is cracking or the body? And are you talking about the area where the pocket is for the hinge?

Cutting out and replacing with metal would be the best way. Lead is old tech, there are better fiberglass fillers out there. I prefer the stuff made by Evercoat.

Owen

Guest Anonymous

You are apparently referring to the solder joint where all Z's eventually crack. If you are familiar with the portable spot welders, this tool maybe employed to provide some "spot" welding to the solder joint since you plan to refinish. I do not know if it can be wire welded but that solder is holding it all together back there and is testament in how good that lower uni-body design and construction is.

Guest Anonymous

I was talking about the body joint, on the passenger side, that is between the hatch and the window. The joint starts a few inches below the top hatch opening and extends to the window. The 71 body flexes and I have a sunroof. Any Ideas?

• 8 months later...

On my first Z I just cleaned up that joint well, put some bondo forced into crack. It is not permanent perhaps...i only drove the car 4 years without recracking. This car got deluxe treatment of JB Weld...and primer. If one had enough courage, and no finish paint my neigbor suggested light remelt of solder used at factory...john

Hi UncleEd.

You have a serious flex problem and untill you strengthen the body, it will always crack. Check if you have cracks at the bottom corners of the windshield under the fenders and check for body alignment such as the door window frame overlaping the rear quarter glass. Misaligned doors is an indication of body twist or whether your car is caving in. :(

Weak floor pans is mostly the problem. cheers.gif