HybridZ

My 76 280z 1jz build thread

pat1

Hi guys I'm starting my 1jzgte swap on my 280z. I have made the cross member and installed the motor. now I'm going to make my motormounts and attach them to my crossmember today. Here is a couple pics

post-3499-036011100 1294756866_thumb.jpg

post-3499-071049900 1294756913_thumb.jpg

Edited by pat1

I would love to see pictures of your mounts!

Here are some pics of the mounts. I still have some welding to do.I made the right mount from sctatch and tig welded everything up. I have the stock supra mount but I couldn't get it to work with the ford f150 mounts that I used. The motor sits 1/2 of a inch off the rack and 1/2 of a inch from the fire wall. I using the r154 from a supra so I'm going to extend the shifter housing a bit Like the one that driftmotion sells. I figure I can make one for about nothing but time( I have tons of scrap aluminum around my shop) I have alot of parts on order and I'm waiting for them to show up. I had a rb20 in this datsun until a few weeks ago. I learned alot from that swap. I spent a few weeks on installing the rb and a year modifing it. I spent more time working on it than driving it. With this swap I'm going to do it right from the start. I'm going to install all the goodies (go fast stuff). I'm going single with a holset HX35 and toss the stock twins. Add some 440 or bigger injectors.

post-3499-073071700 1294795781_thumb.jpg

post-3499-033958900 1294795828_thumb.jpg

post-3499-026667700 1294795863_thumb.jpg

post-3499-083513000 1294795896_thumb.jpg

post-3499-098819800 1294795944_thumb.jpg

post-3499-024963800 1294795748_thumb.jpg

Edited by pat1

Sweet. Those are the same mounts that I am using. Are you using full solid or hydraulic? Because you can get those from Napa Auto in either one. If you are using hydraulic, make sure you mock it up with the trans on. I made that mistake and when I bolted the transmission on, the weight dropped the original position by 3/8 throwing off my angles. I ended up switching over to the solid ones and that took care of my problems.

Sweet. Those are the same mounts that I am using. Are you using full solid or hydraulic? Because you can get those from Napa Auto in either one. If you are using hydraulic, make sure you mock it up with the trans on. I made that mistake and when I bolted the transmission on, the weight dropped the original position by 3/8 throwing off my angles. I ended up switching over to the solid ones and that took care of my problems.

The motor mounts are the hydraulic ones. I'll just have to make some shims. I have a ton of parts ordered but this weather in Georgia has shut down USPS and ups down. This sucks!!!!

I have tons of work to do. I going to try to paint the engine bay this weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

I been so busy building rear sump oil pans for the RB guys. I finally got some time to do my project

I finished the motor mounts and welded them in. I welded 90 degree elbows to my intercooler and test fit the engine and trans. I also painter the engine bay. Here are some pics.

post-3499-043839900 1296948197_thumb.jpg

post-3499-013673900 1296948270_thumb.jpg

post-3499-092333200 1296948317_thumb.jpg

post-3499-068465600 1296948398_thumb.jpg

post-3499-068465600 1296948398_thumb.jpg

post-3499-095527000 1296948505_thumb.jpg

Edited by pat1

• 2 weeks later...

I got sometime today to work on my Z

I picked up a different turbo a precision PT-61

I ran all my fuel lines from my fuel cell and installed a aeromotive fuel pressure regulator.I installed the engine and trans.

post-3499-094434800 1298082076_thumb.jpg

post-3499-047706600 1298082213_thumb.jpg

post-3499-041545400 1298082284_thumb.jpg

WOW 346 views and two comments. Positive or negative comments would be great. This thread is a waste of time. I guess I'll keep the rest to myself.

I'm guessing people don't like to say much because everyone has their own opinions and someone always has something to say on others opinions. That's why I no longer make threads. Keep us posted, even though noone is replying, we are definitely looking forward for updates.

Edited by piston

Hey buddy! I'm still watching your thread! Have you decided what your going to do about the water neck on the passenger side that goes to the radiator? I need to come by again so I can give you a hand finishing up this beast. For anybody watching the pictures on here do not do the work pat has done on this car justice! It looks much better in person, pat doesn't go halfway on anything on his car.

Hey buddy! I'm still watching your thread! Have you decided what your going to do about the water neck on the passenger side that goes to the radiator? I need to come by again so I can give you a hand finishing up this beast. For anybody watching the pictures on here do not do the work pat has done on this car justice! It looks much better in person, pat doesn't go halfway on anything on his car.

Thanks 78nismoZ. I don't know what I'm going to with the neck yet. I think I'm just going to fab it up. I love welding aluminum. The next time you come over we will have to do alittle more work and less talking LOL.

I haven't really said anything but I love this swap!

Please don't keep it all to yourself!

PS Someone I know is running one of your RB pans. It looks awesome!

Ok ok you guys talked me into it I'll keep this thread up.

I put alot of time in those rb pans, I'm glad you like it. I work on cars for a living and metal fab and welding is what I enjoy doing on the side.

I'm considering doing a 1J swap this summer. I'm extremely interested. Keep us very posted!

Also, what kind of header are you using? I've never seen an aftermarket top mount for a JZ that fits in the Z engine bay.

This swap is alot more fun and hands on than the rb20 I did before this. Everything is fab work and It's fun for me, It's some what a challange. I wouldn't say it's hard it just takes sometime. I'm taking a break from my rb pans for a while so I can get some of this swap completed. I want to do it right and that takes time. I'll keep you guys up to date with pics.

I got the 1jz manifold off ebay and it's a very nice piece. I had to modify the wastegate pipe alittle

This swap is alot more fun and hands on than the rb20 I did before this. Everything is fab work and It's fun for me, It's some what a challange. I wouldn't say it's hard it just takes sometime. I'm taking a break from my rb pans for a while so I can get some of this swap completed. I want to do it right and that takes time. I'll keep you guys up to date with pics.

I got the 1jz manifold off ebay and it's a very nice piece. I had to modify the wastegate pipe alittle

Sweet. I'll definitely be watching this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

your in for a ride!! its all the little things that make it hard! getting the motor in is the easy part!!! LOL!!

I'm in it for the challenge. I enjoy fabrication. If I wanted a easy swap I would of pulled out my rb20 and slammed a rb25 into it.

The wiring is all done, that was a cake walk. I work on cars for a living so this is easy for me.

Things to do;

Exhaust

Get the driveshaft built

Intercooler piping

Mod the water neck

Turbo feed and drain lines

Run the slave cylinder line

• 1 month later...

I took a little time off from this project and now I'm back on it. I've ordered everything else I needed and I'll have it running very soon. I'm going to build the exhaust this weekend ( I hope lol). I got 3 inch stainless from the turbo back. I'm going to tig weld it together.