HybridZ

lowering spring questions......

I have purchased the rota rbr wheels from the group buy on this site and before I cut for my zg flares the next logical step it seems is to lower the car before commiting to cutting my quarters and fenders.I have been searching around on msa and found the eibach springs will lower the car about 1 -1/2 inches from stock.it just feels like 2 inches will be needed to do my flairs justice.does anyone have any experience with lowering a z with the rotas with Zg flairs?mind that my suspension is completely stock other then the fact ill use lowering springs.what springs should I use and how low should I go for this combo to look and function properly?thanks.I attached a photo.tell me what you guys think.

post-4799-088974800 1294778984_thumb.jpg

I don't know if it is the angle of the picture but looks like the front fender is about 5" above the wheel. I'm not a 100% sure but I don't think there are any aftermarket springs that lower the car more than 2". If you want to get the stance of your car right you might have to go to coilovers or be prepared to cut the springs. Also I'm assuming you know the problems associated with cutting springs.

Edited by logan1

I think there is a sticky or a FAQ thread about it and it would help to know if you have a 280z or 240z, If you have a 280z you should be able to put 240z strut top hats to lower it a few inches 1 or 2" I think and also use 240z springs as well (check the sticky or search for correctness).

Let me be specific.The car is actually an early 74 260 Z.I might experiment with cutting the stock springs to my desired height.where it really needs to sit will in fact cuase the tires to scrub but its fine because I won't drive it till I cut it and flare it.In fact as of now when I drive it,if I get too rowdy around corners the rears scrub the wells a bit from the fact the rear springs are shot! What are the negative side affects of running cut springs guys?

Let me be specific.The car is actually an early 74 260 Z.I might experiment with cutting the stock springs to my desired height.where it really needs to sit will in fact cuase the tires to scrub but its fine because I won't drive it till I cut it and flare it.In fact as of now when I drive it,if I get too rowdy around corners the rears scrub the wells a bit from the fact the rear springs are shot! What are the negative side affects of running cut springs guys?

Cutting them can weaken the metal if the metal gets too hot, it takes a long time to cut with a hacksaw. They also don't sit the same way as well if you look at springs out of a car the last coil is made flat so it sits right when its compressed when you cut them you take away that "flat spot" and it can sit weird or cause problems, I know I tried to cut my springs and I had the suspension hanging in the air and it would squeak whenever I turned the wheel and only stopped until I installed the Eibach springs, Still have to buy wheels and tires and finish the suspension though