HybridZ

Hood scoop bonding part deux Terry PLEASE help New pix adde

383 240z

You people are sick twisted and funny just what I like in friends!! thanx for your encouragement I'm positive that this will work out. It has to I just blew the rad. out of my driver (88 iroc) I wont put any more $$ into this car!! PS I'm winning a few good auctions on E-Bay this will be a good weekend!!!! Keith

Well it worked!!!!!! I did not have any wd-40 for mold relese but PB Blaster worked VERY well. Just a little tug is all it took. I trimed it up a bit and will do some sanding over the next few days. I still need to do somthing about the very tip of the center crease in the scoop. I most likly will build it up with 'glass and resin then sand it to a nice profile. I will be building the flange up from the backside just to make it stiffer and have some more body for the bolts to hold on to. I also think this will make the part much stronger. You guys have been so helpful with this project!!!! This is not my last 'glass project but I will not whine about the cost of a nice peice of 'glass next time I go to the swap meet!! Also a few things I learned along the way. 1 Rubber gloves are your friend 2 cover everything with aluminum foil! 3 don't cut mat with your wifes good scissors!! 4 four inch cut off wheeles are great! Now all I have to do is prep it for paint and get this thing inspected. The pix can be seen at http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/rx7260z/lst?.dir=/RX-7+Hood+scoop&.view=t Thanks again! Keith

Guest Anonymous

Clever hold downs on top of the scoop. You might forego the T nuts and opt for super glue as a retainer for the "hold downs".Edelbroke may provide more weight and spread on the front corner. Good job, now you can proceed to an entire body...... piece by piece... bead of silicone on the bottom edge of scoop flange (?)

Auto body supply shops usually carry a sealant that comes in a roll that is a 1/8" or 1/4" bead that you unroll, lay where you want it, and then bolt the part on over it. It mushes down and seals the joint, and allows you to remove the scoop for what ever reason later on. Silicone will be pretty much permanent, so I'd suggest you not use it. Great job on the work, and as I see, you learned much about this work that I neglected to mention. You can do the front center tip the same way. Put down a small amount of tape for just the tip down on the hood, set scoop down on it, and add the glass just to that part. No need to do the whole hood for just a small part. Thanks for the pics. I attached my scoop by globbing on saturated mat onto specific areas above the flange you made, on the inside. Then at these globs I drilled and tapped them out for Heli-coil inserts (after they were hard globs). Then I just installed bolts up through the hood and screwed them into the Heli-coils imbedded in the flange. You'd be surprised how well Heli-coils hold up in glass. I used 1/4" ones.