HybridZ

Powdercoating / Paint

Synlubes

I'm not well experienced in powder coating, but I'll get the ball rolling. Try this site to get a little info on it.

powder coating FAQ

It's basically an electrostatically charged powder that adhears to the object that it's sprayed on (opposite charges attract). Then it is placed in an oven to melt and cure. Generally it is twice as durable as liquid paints (depending on which type of each you use), but the color choices are much more limited. Powder coated parts will chip. Now for the experts to chime in........

Guest JAMIE T

I do powdercoating. We touch-up the colors with fingernail polish occasionally. I did Mikelly's blue suspension components. The powder manufacturers have differant formulas of coatings. Some are more resistant to UV light, then others are more resistant to chipping, then there are some that even have anti-bacterial elements in them for use in food preperation areas. I use Tiger/Drylac brand coating. Our oven is about big enough to park a VW Beetle in. The real beauty of powdercoating is how easy it is to clean it. I did all the stuff under the hood of my Z28, and it all cleans up to like new with some Windex. We even have Zinc ecapsulating primers to prevent rust. If you need anything coated, let me know. We still have some unfinished business about a N42 head. ;)

Guest Slvrhase

I use Eastwood's home powdercoating set up. I have to say that it beats any other type of paint product I have ever used. Extremely durable, easy to apply (just need a sand blasting cabinet and an old electric oven.) The best money I have ever spent on tools, besides building the rotisserie. 2thumbs.gif Now if I can just find a bigger oven, I've got a long list of Z parts to do! :rolleyes:

Although I have not run the headers yet on the V8, I absolutely love the Cermakrome powdercoating on the headers. It is not dull, but shines like polished alloy unlike ANY silver spray paint I have used. I wanted longevity out of the headers even though they are relatively cheap, but I don't mind good looks either 2thumbs.gif

Davy