HybridZ

Plug and play headlight harness

I apologize if this has already been talked about, I have searched for over an hour now with no luck.

I put the H4 headlight upgrade kit in my car and it worked just fine for about a week, well I decided to go on a night drive and I stopped at the gas station when I came back out I started my car, turned the lights on and nothing. I checked my fuse and it had literally blown up, the glass had shattered. I replaced the fuse and they worked fine. The next day I checked all of my wiring and even pulled the connectors apart and put a little bit of solder on the ends of the connectors. That night I turned the lights on before I started the car and they didn't work again. I turned them off, started the car and turned the light switch on and they worked but only the brights. Besides the obvious problem of driving with brights all the time, the hi beam indicator is off and when I flip the Hi-Lo switch the blue light comes on but the lights turn on. Also when the lights are on the RPMs drop about 150-200.

Any ideas? I really need to get this resolved ASAP, This is my only car.

Get the high amp lights off the stock switch QUICKLY! The standalone plug-n-play harness takes a whole 5 minutes (maximum) to install, and bypasses all the internal car wiring insofar as current carrying goes. If you have 55/65 watt lights, that should be O.K. but the relay/plug-n-play will make them even brighter. If you have 55/100's or some other flamethrower in there it's obligatory to use relays, if you want your combination switch to survive.

The rpm drop is the reuslt of the voltage drop/load you are putting on the vehicle's electrical system when the lights are on...hopefully you have upgraded your alternator to a higher output as well already...it was marginal in a 240 for even the stock lights with good wiring!

I have the plug and play harness in there, sorry I didn't really make that clear. I think that the harness is my problem but I'm not sure where to look. Maybe one of the relays went out? I forgot to mention that I have an L28 in the car, so I have the internally regulated alternator on there, I have a feeling the alternator is going out as well because sometimes the rpm drop is minimal like I said and then other times my car will just flat out die.

which fuses, the relay kit eliminates all load on the stock fuses.

what plug n play kit, with the power sourced where?

in your 72?

internally regulated alternator with the diode jumper in the old voltage regulator socket on the inner fenderwell?

The fuse is the right headlight, that fuse is just to control the switch and then it sends the power to the relays. The battery is the power source, yes it's a 72 and yes to the alternator. I'm going to be putting a new fuse block in today so I'll see if i can find the problem.