HybridZ

1977 280z starting problems.

Hey everyone,

I just got this 280z and I'm having some trouble getting it started. It does start and it runs ok it just takes a while. It needs at least 6-7 turns of the ignition to even engage the starter and turn it over. All the lights in the car turn on and I can hear the switch clicking but it doesn't turn over until multiple attempts. The battery is fully charged. Is it the ignition barrel? The starter? I wanted to make sure before I go out to get new parts. Thanks for any help!

I'm not a mechanic or anything but I have had that problem before with different cars and everyone says that a good bet is the starter or ignition switch. One of the times it doesn't start the first time you should take something and give the starter a couple good whacks then see if it engages. The ignition switch should be located directly behind where your key goes in. It has a plastic end with a slot in it that can be turned with a screw driver. That's how it was in my 280ZX. I would definitely give those a closer look. Good luck with your car.

Edited by Snp93