HybridZ

"deluxe" carpet kit value

flibuoy

I am asking for input on the "deluxe" carpet kits that are offered....they are supposed to cover the usual plus the diamond vinyl. I imagine most come from same source ultimately. How is fit? Did it help with noise,A/C etc. It is either that or a redye for my "tan" vinyl which now looks like a rotten orange peel color. john

Guest Zachb55

just an alternative idea... My plan is to redo my carpet on my own, with some generic interior carpeting and cloth to give it a sortof more modern and more comfy feel then the bare plastic on the panels and such, im figuring this will save me a couple hundred dollars over even the non-deluxe carpet kits. it should be pretty easy with the old carpet to use as a template.

-Zach

Guest Philanthr0py
Originally posted by Zachb55:

just an alternative idea... My plan is to redo my carpet on my own, with some generic interior carpeting and cloth to give it a sortof more modern and more comfy feel then the bare plastic on the panels and such, im figuring this will save me a couple hundred dollars over even the non-deluxe carpet kits. it should be pretty easy with the old carpet to use as a template.

-Zach

Please post pics and difficulties if you are doing this please. I'm on a tight budget so if this is a easy way out of paying for the carpet kit, please share... thanx

Guest 240hybrid

I side with Zachb55, I plan on buying some carpet and just sizing to old and go from there. I thought about buying the carpets from MSA, but hell, who wants to pay $250.00 for carpet?? Not me!! Doing it this way will save at least $175-$200, doing it myself. I dont think cutting and laying the carpet is too difficult if you have your old pieces to go by, even if you dont, I dont believe it'll pose too much of a problem. Just trim it down. I dont think you need to be a expert to do this. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the replies so far, looking forward to more. On the dye...I just refinished my entire interior (less the diamond vinyl)from that spoiled orange peel tan to a light tan. I used the following: remove from car what was removeable, scrub with detergent and brush, rinse, just before spraying I wiped a wet coat of MEK on to soften the plastic surface, sprayed 6-10 light coats. Looks great if I must say so myself. Durabilty is the issue of course...but then my new Camry vinyl leaves a mark when I hit it with a crowbar. Used 6 cans. I considered the homemade carpeting, but really have a thing about unbound edging and the wheelwell area looked more than a little challenging. john

i am in the process of "restoring" my 77 280Z.

I went down to a fabric store and picked up a bunch of black vinyl, and then i went to home depot and got some carpet for the rear deck... and some wood that i am using to build my own custom rear deck with stereo system...

One thing that i have to say about re-covering and redesigning the interior... it is a pain in the butt, but well worth it. Get creative with the car you'll be much happier with it if it is a direct product of your own imagination....

Joe

Guest Zachb55

I'll post pics on my website when i get there, im trying to get through this whole painting process quickly but the longer i take the better ill do so im doing it good and fast, ill be sure to post in here when i get there though, give me like a month and maybe youll see some custom interior work out of me!

-Zach