HybridZ

Damaged Weber

Shadow

I decided to open up my used carbs (40dcoe27) and give them a rebuild. During inspection I realized the top cover was damaged. Particularly the two posts that the float bowl attaches to. One post in 2 of the 3 carbs have broken and the previous owner wired the pin to the post. Is there a way I can fix this? If not where can I purchase a new top cover?

post-3062-029026000 1295196361_thumb.jpg

post-3062-013990600 1295196364_thumb.jpg

post-3062-022506900 1295196367_thumb.jpg

post-3062-071901300 1295196370_thumb.jpg

You can probably buy a top cover... Me, in my cheapness and impatience would probably rig up a repair. My repair would look better than that though! That repair probably works fine but I would cut off half the post, clean, fab up a replacement chunk and pin it with a dowel or screw. I would also investigate fuel proof epoxies.

Edited by cygnusx1

I would fab a new post and attach it to the inside of the broken one. I would drill and tap the existing one in 2 places and narrow up the float to fit. Replacing the existing unit is the best option, but It could be fixed.

I have bought parts from http://redlineweber.com/html/application_guide/Table_of_Contents.htm with good results.

Edited by SHO-Z

I 2nd Jasper's call on JB Weld. Get the hardener-to-resin ratio as precise as possible, mix thoroughly and be certain the parts to be glued are clean. Chlorinated brake cleaner is good for flushing any remaining grease, oil, etc off the parts. Beware that chlorinated solvents are carcinogenic; use at your own risk. I use it outdoors, wear nitrile gloves and don't breath the fumes. Good luck.