HybridZ

280Z Fuel tank options using factory components

I have been looking on this forum for days now and I can't seem to find anything on this topic.

I would like to run a dual exhaust on my LS conversion, therefore I know I need to get rid of the factory fuel tank in order to make this work.

Has anyone used a fuel cell or had a custom fuel tank made in which the factory sending unit and gauge can be used?

Thanks Cable,

I did find that thread yesterday but it's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking to see if anyone is using a fuel cell or a custom made tank that will allow dual exhaust and the use of the factory Datsun sending unit and fuel gauge.

My gauges are in great condition, I see most guys on the forums go with the fatermarket gauges and I'm all about doing something different, not to mention I like the look of the stock gauges. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Cable,

I did find that thread yesterday but it's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking to see if anyone is using a fuel cell or a custom made tank that will allow dual exhaust and the use of the factory Datsun sending unit and fuel gauge.

My gauges are in great condition, I see most guys on the forums go with the fatermarket gauges and I'm all about doing something different, not to mention I like the look of the stock gauges. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cut out that whole section of the stock tank, cut a whole of equal size and shape in your tank of choice (obviously, a steel one...), weld it in at the appropriate height from the bottom to give you a somewhat accurate reading on your fuel gauge... and VIOLA!

BTW... most gauges are in great condition, they experience very little wear and tear, so even if you chopped up the guts to experiment, they are a dime a dozen.

Cut out that whole section of the stock tank, cut a whole of equal size and shape in your tank of choice (obviously, a steel one...), weld it in at the appropriate height from the bottom to give you a somewhat accurate reading on your fuel gauge... and VIOLA!

BTW... most gauges are in great condition, they experience very little wear and tear, so even if you chopped up the guts to experiment, they are a dime a dozen.

You know that's not a bad idea. I was thinking about sending my original gas tank to a fuel tank builder and have them make one out of aluminumm without some of the tall side of the tank located on the passenger's side (to make room for the dual exhaust) but make the rest of it bigger (I would have to cut out the spare tire well)to compensate for the volume we just lost. Then measure where the factory sending unit was mounted and make a mounting spot at the same height as on the 280Z tank. They could add external brackets as part of the tank to mount my Aeromotive pump, pre pump filter, regulator, etc. I have seem custom aluminum tanks cost in the neighboorhood of $800. But my main thing is to retain all the 280Z components, besides the stroked LS2....LOL

I just wanted to check in this forum to see if anyone had done something similar before I started on this.

I have seen that thread for the tank build. It is a very nice set up, unfortunately you can't run dual exhaust with that tank and you can't use the factory sending unit. I will have Boyd Welding build what I'm looking for if I don't find an alternative. They do great work and are easy to work with as long as you are not out to waste their time and are serious about what you want. You will not be disapointed with their work.