HybridZ

ZG Flare install help needed

Guest Zachb55

Guest Zachb55

I just got a set of ZG flares from MSA for my 240 and they seem to fit alright but they still have some substantial gaps between the bolt spots, is this normal? I mean its like a good 1/4 inch gap in between those, should i just fill this with body filler? i wasnt really worried about having it smoothed/formed into the rest of the car, just have it like most people do it... ive seen them done with what looks like a seal or something, anybody got any information on something like that? any help would be much appreciated, i sit there looking at them ready to install but im in sortof a stalemate because im worried if i use filler im going to get cracks, and i wasnt planning an needing to do body work to make these work and look ok, what do you guys think i should do?

-Zach

Guest Anonymous

Zach.. quit fretting about it and bolt them on for a trial fit...If you can use bigger "fender washers" to spread out the load around the bolt holes when tightening to the fender.... cinch them up tight and see what gap you have.Pay attention to cracking sounds Fiberglass can warp and you may need to take the "warp set" out of them by cinching them down to the fenders. If you cannot take out the gaps then there is a way to re-glass them to fit using roof sheathing.

You can also get rubber fender welt(?) in rolls - I've seen it on ZG flares and on vw bajas. I'll save you some time because I bolted mine up and you will have gaps. I'd avoid bondo or fiberglass as it will stress and crack. The rubber runs between the fender and the flares, if you've seen the old supras with flares you know what I'm talking about. I still need to find it myself, shouldn't be too hard to find. I saw a picture of a green Z a while ago with it and they looked really clean.

Good luck,

Heavy Z