HybridZ

Rolling a new rear valence panel

Scott_M67

Has anyone rolled their own rear valence panel? With the compound curve it seems like one would need to use an English wheel or be really good with a bag and hammer.

I have made lots of pieces like that. You could make that without a wheel. It depends what you have for tools, patience, and understanding of what you are doing. You could make it all buy stretching in the middle (what an english wheel does) or all by shrinking around the edges or a combination of both. A shot bag is just for stretching and getting a part 80% shaped. You would then hammer against a firm surface (dolly, buck etc...) to smooth the shapes and further stretch, then planish to make it smooth. You could also do some final shrinking of high spots with a shrinking disc. It really doesn't take much for tools. Are you going to make one?

I have made lots of pieces like that. You could make that without a wheel. It depends what you have for tools, patience, and understanding of what you are doing. You could make it all buy stretching in the middle (what an english wheel does) or all by shrinking around the edges or a combination of both. A shot bag is just for stretching and getting a part 80% shaped. You would then hammer against a firm surface (dolly, buck etc...) to smooth the shapes and further stretch, then planish to make it smooth. You could also do some final shrinking of high spots with a shrinking disc. It really doesn't take much for tools. Are you going to make one?

I might give it a try, not sure, steel is cheap so all I can do is try and maybe screw it up. I sent you a PM

You can shrink the edges with a block of wood and almost any hammer. Look up "stump shrinking" on youtube. Same with using a tucking fork. It's not hard to do but it's hard to be consistant and make a part that isn't lumpy. Laying out a grid or alignment marks is a good way to help that. Even with a machine to shrink or a wheel to stretch, it's a good idea to mark out the part, for me at least.

I replied to you but figured others might want to read about this stuff. It's a really fun challenge to shape sheetmetal.

That is an awesome looking Z car, Atomic Orange is one of my top favorite colors. My rear valence is beyond repair, I cut it off just after the step down from the tail lights. I dont think I can get these two curves right and will need some help from someone or have to get a shop to roll me this piece. I'm hoping to talk my son into a shaved rear end but he is asking to help put a 240 rear bumper on this 280. Just means more work relocating the bumper brackets since the right side bolt interferes with the body around the filler neck and of course reinforcing the new panel in order to mount the rear brackets. Might have to try the MSA rear panel, not sure its cut high enough though.

I made this one a couple of years ago. A wheeling machine does make it easier. Is yours that bad it cannot be repaired ?

You can check out the Metal Meet forum , that where all the metal shapers hang out.

http://metalmeet.com/forum/search.php?searchid=629404

DSC01321.JPG

DSC01362.JPG