HybridZ

Gauge of sheetmetal??

Guest 240hybrid

Guest 240hybrid

What gauge is the sheet metal on a 73 240. Im about to start my body work and it requires the cutting a replacing of some small areas of rust. Also, I've heard that its better to go with a heavier gauge that what is stock for patch work, :confused: is there any truth in this?

thanks Chase

Guest freakypainter

it is my experience to patch with the same guage of metal that the car is made. when u start welding a heavier guage to a lighter guage you will often burn through the lighter as it takes more heat to properly penetrate the heavier. I dont know the exact guage for the car, i think it depends on application (heavier in the floors, lighter in quarters etc) hope that helps, good luck.

Guest 240hybrid

Yeah I figured that heavier gauge for patchwork was just a crock...I'll look through my manuals again. I think it says the gauge of metals in service manuals, havent been able to find it. I only have a service manual for a 77 280 and a haynes for 240/260's. The gauge of sheetmetal on the 280 is heavier than that of a 240 is it not?

Actually, I prefer to use a heavier gauge for the patch piece because it allows me to use a slightly hotter arc and allow the molten steel to flow very gently onto the peice being repaired. That way the heat of the molten steel is 'welding' the piece being repaired and not the arc from the welder.

Just my 2c.....

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Agree with Tim on riding that thicker piece of sheet metal and momentarily dipping onto that thinner gauge for a deposit. I also like a fabricated flange to frame the sheet metal rather butt weld the edges together. Takes a good adjustable mig welder to join thin sheet metal together with out burning thru.

Guest 240hybrid

Good info to know....I was wondering if that heavier gauge deal was true, heard it from a small body shop up the road. My father has a flanging tool that he picked up a while back. Figured I'd use it to make it alittle easier to patch some of these areas. I'll give your techniques a try, I'll practice on scraps first. I alway like to hear a few opinions before I tackle something were skill is needed. Thanks guys

Chase

Guest freakypainter

I prefer to cut a patch the exact same size and shape as the hole im trying to fix and butt weld it . granted it takes alot of practice but it makes for a nicer job and after you grind the weld down you dont have to do as much mudwork, but everybody has their own way. pracice on some scrap and do what works for you.

Guest 240hybrid

yeah Im worrying about warpage too. I've done work on a door a while back and the warpage drove me up the wall. I figure some warping will occur, but intend to just tack them in place and using a copper plate on the backside and a moist rag on top to remove some heat quickly after tacking...will the quick removal of heat with a wet rag cause any affects that are unwanted?? Like cause the metal to rise or sink make it more of a hell to work with, or should I only use the copper plate to pull heat from the area??

In all the patching work I've done (and there has been A BUNCH on my V8 project car), I have had almost ZERO warpage, by tacking at opposite sides and laying a damp rag on the weld right afterwards. While this isn't necessarily a good practice for welding (tends to make the weld brittle), for body panels that have very little stress or structural needs, it's not a problem.

Tim

Guest 240hybrid

Yeah I have a couple metal working hammers and dollies too....I dont plan not to have the right tools. :D lol thats a good though though, I'll test that out on a few practice pieces and see if I cant get descent at it and use that tech. I wouldn't mind not doing as much filler/smoothing of the surface I patch. All of you are filling me full of good ideas and techniques, I'll see which one Im satisfies me and looks the best.

Chase 2thumbs.gif

Guest 240hybrid

Tim240 you got it right....thats one the areas Im patching in. I agree, I dont see a brittle weld cracking on such areas that dont take that much tension. Theres not that much twist/pressure put on the sheetmetal there I wouldnt think. All of the areas Im doing patching on arent very sturctural parts such as frame rails and such, Areas Im patching in are....lower part of fenders, rocker, lower part doors, and fender lips.

Guest 240hybrid

Naw I wasnt gonna use a wet rag then hammer the welds flush...end up makein a mess out of the area. I ment after welding and hammering then try to remove the heat with a rag. Air hose idea seems plausible. Nobody ever did say what the exact gauge of sheetmetal is on a 73 240 though, dependin on which methods work best for me. Will test them out this weekend.

RacerX,

I did allude to the fact that cooling the weld too quickly will effect the integrity of said weld, but do you concur that, for a body panel patch, say at the lower rear part of the front fenders where the Z tends to rust out, where there are no issues of structural strength required that the point is basically moot? Or am I missing something?

I defer to your expert opinion:

Tim

Guest 240hybrid

I plan on using a mig and tacking the patches into place as to not warp the hell out of the area being repaired. I've had some experience with warpage from heat and will avoid using alot of heat as any cost. I would gas weld but am more experienced with mig welding and dont want all that heat that comes with gas welding.

Guest jdllaugh

I'm no expert and haven't done any of this yet, but on body patch panels, such as repairing rustout around the fenders, I will use bonding glues. I understand from what I've read and talking with body/fender guys the new bonding agents work great for non-structural areas and do away with concerns about warping. Make the patch slightly larger than the hole your repairing, bevel the edges of the patch, and glue into place.

I'm mig welding the floors and rails. Still have to be careful not to cause warping, but any cosmetic flaws will be hidden from view. I'm using 16 gauge for the floors and overlapping. I've practiced lap-welding the 16 gauge to the thin, rusty floor material I cut out of the car. With the right settings, it was a breeze.

Guest 240hybrid

16 for the floorpans....I got some floor pans from MSA I'll be installing soon too and was think at least 18 if I have to patch some areas that the floorpans dont cover, which Im sure I'll have to do. for the fenders and rockers Im thinking 20 gauge sheetmetal. Went to home depot and looked at some today, but they didnt have any 20 and from looking at 18 and 22 looks like thats what I want for my patch work of fenders and rockers etc. I'll compare floorpans and fender sheetmetal to what Im buying before I weld it in too. Still have yet to decide if to go with same gauge for patches or slighly heavier, still experimenting. Thnks for all the recommendations guys, guess next thing is to get out there and do the work once I decide my method of destruction :D .

Chase