HybridZ

So what do you guys think about a Oldsmobile 455 in my 77 280z

77 Blule 280z

From having a friend who had a 70 Olds 442 with a destroked 455 in it, I don't think you could keep tires on a Z. That Olds would smoke the tires off of it from a 50mph roll. Olds was about a 3,800lb car, I think the engine will fit and enjoy the Torque. May have to use stock exhaust manifolds, just guessing on that though.

From having a friend who had a 70 Olds 442 with a destroked 455 in it, I don't think you could keep tires on a Z. That Olds would smoke the tires off of it from a 50mph roll. Olds was about a 3,800lb car, I think the engine will fit and enjoy the Torque. May have to use stock exhaust manifolds, just guessing on that though.

Yeah i talked to a few friends and they said it would be alot of power for the car.

That was the motor that my friend and I were in the process of fitting to a 72 Ventura when the project ended due to us splitting away for college. Never got back to it. At least we had finished the Z build beforehand. That motor is big and heavy but torque it makes.

Saw in an earlier post that the Big Block olds engines are too wide for a Z.

My friend and his dad were all about Big Block olds power. When my friends dad was younger he would race the guys who just bought Big Block chevelles, impalas, corvettes and all. A ton of people would buy those cars and take them straight to the track from the dealership, back in the day. He said they would be pissed that they got beat by his Olds. Especially when the salesman would tell them there is nothing on the street that can touch them Big Block Chevys. lol I don't ever remember going over there house and not finding an engine or two apart in there kitchen. De-stroked is the word. :o)

Years ago I bought a '70 Toronado with the high output 455. After building the transmission, and fixing a bunch of vacuum leaks I drove it for almost a year. An awesome car. Biggest problem was ripping the side walls out of the front tires. I hear a lot of people complain about FWD cars, but that Toro made a real impression on me. Take a bunch of measurements, and if it'll fit I say go for it.

Years ago I bought a '70 Toronado with the high output 455. After building the transmission, and fixing a bunch of vacuum leaks I drove it for almost a year. An awesome car. Biggest problem was ripping the side walls out of the front tires. I hear a lot of people complain about FWD cars, but that Toro made a real impression on me. Take a bunch of measurements, and if it'll fit I say go for it.

Yeah i got some measurements and i am pretty sure the tires would hit the block lol plus i would have to cut and weld all kinds of stuff in. I think i am just going to go with a 340 i have one of them to.

• 2 weeks later...

To fit the olds 455 into a ventura, you have to relinquish the evaporator as it will hit the head.

It's close enough with the 262-403 but the higher deck height causes issues.

It also causes issues on the 1979 and later cars for the same reason.

I had one in a 1969 ss396 chevelle with mickey thompson valve covers and a torker 455 manifold painted factory colors on "F heads" (no heat riser) and that car was a monster beast.

Best factory versions were actually out of the old toronados.....not sure why but they spec. more hp than almost any other olds 455.

One thing to keep in mind is that engine mounts and header/exhaust manifold angle is different between the 455 and the rest of the olds engines which might cause issues if not paid attention to.