HybridZ

Hard time shifting

jonzzer

Hello,

So my 280z that i swapped a 82 zxt motor in it is having problems with shifting. Curently i am using the 4spd from the 280z. When i swaped the motor i put in a new exedy turbo clutch/pressure plate whole shebang. Now when i try and shift it is impossible without jamming it into gear sometimes. Reverse grinds no matter what. ive bleed the system once but still might be air. My question is is it worth the 100 to buy a new slave and master cylinder?? Also, are the fork that engages the bearing the same on both years, cant remember what one i used.

The fact that "sometimes" you have to push the pedal to the floor suggests that your slave or master cylinder is going bad. Pull the rubber boot off of the slave cylinder and see if it's full of fluid. I had a slave cylinder fail due to bad sealing mid-stroke. It looked like it was moving correctly but it was leaking in the middle of pedal travel.

If you're sure the hydraulics are good, then it's possible you have a short collar in place when you need a long one. But if that was the case, I would expect your slave cylinder piston to get pushed out of the cylinder since it is self-adjusting and would just take up the slack (as I understand it).

Here's a link to collars either way - http://zparts.com/zptech/articles/trans_swap%20parts/4tobear_specs1.html

Edit - these are examples and your situation might not be shown, but it gives you the idea.

Edited by NewZed

Alright guys you're the best. I remember pressing the turbo collar onto the throwout bearing, so that shouldn't be the problem. thank god cause i dont wanna drop the tranny again. So are all the slave cylinders the same, Should i buy one for the 280z with 4spd or the turbo 5spd. Or does it even make a difference?

I just had the slave cylinder go bad on mine, I had the same shifter problems as you did. I have a Zoom clutch/pressure plate and the problem got progressively worse until I couldn't shift it at all. I got a stock one off of Ebay, works great. I think they are all the same on the Z cars.

BTW, had to replace the clutch master cylinder last year due to leaking. They are not expensive so my advice would be to do both at once.