HybridZ

280z Fuel Injection System Swap

I'm in CA, and my 78Z just passed the smog test with flying colors last Saturday. Whew!! In general, runs pretty well and is lots of fun.

Anyway, I hadn't really considered doing any engine performance modifications due to the smog requirements. I gotta admit I don't know a whole lot about these matters, but I understand the car would be very unlikely to pass smog with non-turbo performance modifications like cam, headwork, porting/polishing, headers, etc. Not only that, but it wouldn't even perform very well as long as the stock EFI system is used, from what I've read. Because of all this, I haven't really investigated doing much upgrade-wise to my engine.

However, given the possible "freedom" come 2012 (assuming one has the correct insurance), would it be possible to implement non-turbo performance upgrades, including EMS like Megasquirt, and yet still have the car pass the CA tailpipe test? I'm not that familiar with Megasquirt, but could one develop a "smog-test" map that would enable the smog requirements to be met?

Marc

Edited by Marc_P