HybridZ

Indeys 76' 280z

Indey

Well I'm finally the owner of this Z, this thread will follow the progress I make on it. With of course pictures and other various things, I'm sure I'll ask a ton of questions since, I'm apparently absolutely horrible at using the search function. Anyways here's the car..

P1010005-1.jpg

P1010009-1.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010012.jpg

It's going to be a work in progress so we'll see how it comes out..

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I spent a few minutes out in the garage taking a few useless things out of the car....the service light on the side of the engine bay has never worked, so I removed it for now. It may go back in...but I highly doubt it. Here's after that was removed...

2-20-11001.jpg

The AC is coming out as well...since I never have AC in any of my cars really. I would have loved to just take it out with out struggling but the lines are absurdly brittle and didn't want to let go of the freon canister. So I had to cut it out.

2-20-11002.jpg

Now for some questions..

1. Will people buy the AC system from these cars? If it can benefit someone else that wants AC that would be great for them.

2. What is this odd little piece under my dash, it can't be twisted or pulled/pushed, and I have no idea what it is...

2-20-11003.jpg

And a picture with the other project :)

2-20-11004.jpg

Nice projet.

2. What is this odd little piece under my dash, it can't be twisted or pulled/pushed, and I have no idea what it is...

It is the "trip odometer reset".

Normally, the knob look like the "illumination control rheostat" at his right.

Probably it is jam...

To use it, you turn it for align all "0000" on the uper odometer in your speedometer.

Jack!

______

Nice projet.

It is the "trip odometer reset".

Normally, the knob look like the "illumination control rheostat" at his right.

Probably it is jam...

To use it, you turn it for align all "0000" on the uper odometer in your speedometer.

Jack!

______

Awesome thanks alot for the info!

All I've done since my last bit is lubricate the throttle joints, they were a bit sticky and when it was cold the throttle would hold itself open and i'd have to pull it back to get it to close, now it's nice and smooth.. hopefully i'll be doing more soon but the del sol needs a few things before its biggest show of the year so i'll probably just be cleaning and removing useless things on the Z for now..

• 3 weeks later...

So its been a little while...I've mostly been driving the Z around when no ones around, since it's currently registered non-op, but I'll be registering it this week.. so I'll be able to drive it around normally...

• 2 weeks later...

So I was cleaning out the passenger side of the car, and under the center console, and I ran across a few things that I'm unsure of....

First were these connectors that are under the passenger seat. They appear to go together but I'm unsure of just plugging things in.

3.jpg

I also ran across this knob without a well...knob behind the console

2.jpg

So I was wondering if anyone had any input on these things... thanks!

The connector from the wiring seem to be the one for the "Brake warning lamp check relay" (But the picture is too close for to be sure; And I don't see well the connectors). And the other connector is probably the "famous" relay.

This system is use for a double purpose of the break light.

- Check hand break release (switch under hand break) + break condition with the break line pressure differencial warning switch.

- With the relay, the light come on if the engine shut down (Key at ON position).

When the engine is running, sometime if the relay is no good or its ground is bad (or if the alternator is bad), the light "brake" stays ON even if the hand break is released and brakes condition is good.

If you unplug this relay for close the break light, at that moment, the brake light will be used just for the hand brake and brakes condition.

The knob than you found behind your center console is used for the A/C (air conditioning).

It is with this knob than you can adjust the cooling.

Jack!

Edited by Jack_280Z

Thanks again you've been a huge help man!

I haven't had much time to spend on the z currently, other than attempting to tighten a loose hatch strut, without thinking maybe the PO didnt tighten it because it was stripping, to which it broke the bolt of course, oh well, time for a new hatch strut, in the meantime one is still holding up just fine so oh well

• 4 weeks later...

Alright so after running into some troubles with it starting. That being some bad fusible links (corroded bad not blown bad) The Z is up and running again. I've also replaced the thermostat, and upper radiator hose. Also the heater core hose had a pin hole leak in it, so I removed both hoses and looped the heater core hoses so it bypasses it completely. The heater never worked anyways...and that's about it. I'll try and update this more frequently now since I have to use the car all the time..

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got some fusible link covers...

4-26-11001.jpg

4-26-11002.jpg

4-26-11003.jpg

and then took some time to touch up the terrible job someone had done painting the stock wipers previously..

4-30-11001.jpg

4-30-11002.jpg

4-30-11003.jpg

and thats about it for now....

I had gotten a polished ARC shift knob for the Z without realizing at the time the current thread pitch was different for these cars. Apparently current Nissan runs a 10x1.25 which is the polished one I got, and the stock Z shifter is a 8x1.25. So I picked up ANOTHER ARC shift knob off of a friend that was parting out his car, now the question is do I keep the brushed one I just got, or swap out the thread pitch adapter on the inside, for my polished one..hrmm...

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so finally here's some pictures.....

My ARC brushed shift knob.

IMAG0107.jpg

I think it looks amazing, I just need a new shift boot to help it along.

I also went to the junkyard and came across a decent sent of air vents, a wiper/headlamp switch which didn't work, and a decent condition ebrake boot.

IMAG0112.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

I should be replacing the wheel bearings soon enough. So that will be nice.

So the previous owner put some sort of...goopy rubberized garbage all over the car...it's going to be a lengthy process removing all of it...but I got started tonight.

It started like this

IMAG0116.jpg

Then I realized the wire wheel I was using was all wrong, and it was taking me forever to get stuff done

IMAG0117.jpg

So I changed the wheel and got back to work!

IMAG0118.jpg

Then I smoothed it out with some a scotch brite pad.

IMAG0119.jpg

I'm going to paint it flat black later, once I do the other side, then I'll have to eventually get started on the trunk...which I am not looking forward to, but what can you do right?

Your gonna wanna use some kind of rust prevention paint on those parts, regular flat black wont do the job in the long run. If your gonna rattle can it you should probably use rustoleum, or if you wanna do it the right way go with por15

Your gonna wanna use some kind of rust prevention paint on those parts, regular flat black wont do the job in the long run. If your gonna rattle can it you should probably use rustoleum, or if you wanna do it the right way go with por15

I'm just rattle canning them as a temporary thing, nothing for the long run, eventually the whole car will be stripped and everything will be redone, thanks for the advice though :)

• 2 weeks later...

I removed some of the sound deadening from the trunks floor board, and luckily that removed a good portion of that odd goopy stuff that the previous owner had put on. I'll post some pics of that soonish....I also had the front wheel bearings replaced, and had the gas line that goes from the tank to the pump replaced, since it wanted to leak forever.

And last but not least I finally placed my order for wheels today. Unfortunately they won't be in for a while...but they are a set of rota RB's 16x8 +4 in gunmetal!

• 1 month later...

So..Updates have been super slow...there should be some stuff soon though... the 16x8 +4's that I wanted are unfortunately, not in stock. So I decided to go with a slightly different set up.

F: 16x8 +10 225/50/16

R: 17x8.5 +4 245/40/17

The wheels were suppose to be here last week and they're still not unfortunately, but I will have pictures of them ASAP

I also picked up a set of Project Kics Neo Chrono R40's today for the wheels. And placed an order for the Arizona Z Car Bumpsteer Spacers/ Steering Knuckles.

I've also spent some time digging through the bag of bolts for my del Sol, and found that the OEM 10mm Head Zinc Plated Bolts for a Honda, are the same thread pitch as the 10mm screws/bolts on a Z, and since Zinc plating resists corrosion, I spent a bit of time replacing bolts with OEM Honda ones, I'll hopefully have pictures of that as well soon.

SO in the meantime here's a picture of the lugs...

IMAG0214.jpg

Edited by Indey