HybridZ

L24 Refuses To Start

SoCal-s130

So my car has been running just fine lately and I left it sitting since Friday. I go out to start it today and it runs for about 30 seconds then just stumbles to a stop. Now all it does is cranks over. It is getting spark at all the spark plugs. I removed the fuel line leading into the carbs (twin draft su's) and it is pumping out fuel. I then removed the cover on the side of the carb that has the black floater inside of the small tank and it seemed a bit dry. So I am thinking that needle is not allowing fuel into the carb?

But I am wondering if this seems logical that it would go bad all of a sudden just like that? Or maybe it is something common that I may not be aware of and some of you may know? Just looking for some helpful input.

So my car has been running just fine lately and I left it sitting since Friday. I go out to start it today and it runs for about 30 seconds then just stumbles to a stop. Now all it does is cranks over. It is getting spark at all the spark plugs. I removed the fuel line leading into the carbs (twin draft su's) and it is pumping out fuel. I then removed the cover on the side of the carb that has the black floater inside of the small tank and it seemed a bit dry. So I am thinking that needle is not allowing fuel into the carb?

But I am wondering if this seems logical that it would go bad all of a sudden just like that? Or maybe it is something common that I may not be aware of and some of you may know? Just looking for some helpful input.

black floater - "float"

small tank - "float bowl"

seemed a bit dry - = No bueno

Check out the FSM "Factory Service Manual". Its available online for free if you look and covers your carbs in detail! You could also pay for it... its worth having either way if this is a car you plan on fixing yourself and owning for an extended period of time.

The float needle is not the only thing between the line in and the bowl. There is a filter in the banjo bolt as well that clogs. See the FSM or google "Datsun SU float bowl" and you will easily find the common method for setting the float levels.

Float adjustment doesnt usually go bad all of a sudden BTW. More than likely you have a clog. The needle orifice can clog as well if the filter on the banjo is currently missing.

If you have one apart do the other at the same time. Clean, adjust, and re-assemble.

So I took the carb apart again and checked the banjo bolt and filter. No clogs there. I can blow air through and it goes from the nipple right into the float bowl. Any other things I should try to look? I need this thing running!

Its not clogged, but you get fuel just before that point. All I can think of is bad fuel pressure/volume or maladjusted float.

Use the a fore mentioned sources to reset the float levels and check your pressure to see if its adequate to supply fuel to the bowl.

So today im outside and I smell fuel. I look under the Z and theres a huge puddle of it. It was leaking from the bottom of the carb and it was also leaking what looked to be coolant from the intake manifold. Blown headgasket? I did a compression test a few days ago and it was 120 all across the board...