HybridZ

Another 'Hey I'm New' Thread

After being without a fun project car for the last 5+ years, I've decided to get back into it. In my high school and college days I built many hondas (none of that rice boy crap for me if you are wondering). I've decided a 240z would be a great platform and it has always been one of those cars that I just loved the lines. Now that I have a garage and all my tools in one place, I can have fun again. Most importantly the wife really likes them also!

Anyway, I did come across a 74 240z that is a manual... Its been sitting for awhile but the owner said it did run when it was parked. At first glance, the body looks ok with no evident damage or heavy rust. He said best offer, so I'm going to offer $500 if the rust is moderate.

Any rust areas I should look for/avoid that are specific to these cars??? I'm alright with floor pans being a bit rotted, but was going to stay away from frame rail rust. I plan to strip it down to the bare chassis and have it blasted, then start fresh.

SR20DET swap looks mighty nice...Gunmetal Gray Exterior, with solid black interior... wheels/suspension/brakes TBD...

I'm going to have a hell of a time deciding on body pieces.

You might search on Rust and see the 100+ threads on common rust areas. I think there might be a sticky in the Body&Paint sub forum. Definitely look around, there's tons of info on here. Oh and Welcome to Hybridz. We love pictures and $500 would be a excellent price for a halfway decent 240z. Decent ones go for 10 times that, depending on where in the country you are. Since you're going to blast it anyway, you might consider going with new pans and bad dog rails anyway.

Phar

You might search on Rust and see the 100+ threads on common rust areas. I think there might be a sticky in the Body&Paint sub forum. Definitely look around, there's tons of info on here. Oh and Welcome to Hybridz. We love pictures and $500 would be a excellent price for a halfway decent 240z. Decent ones go for 10 times that, depending on where in the country you are. Since you're going to blast it anyway, you might consider going with new pans and bad dog rails anyway.

Phar

Thanks I'll take a look at the rails.... I have been doing some digging around and have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for now. I did find one for around $800 that was already blasted and primed but it was down in Florida. I wouldn't mind spending up to a $1000 if its in better condition.

Well, You'd be well off to set yourself a few goals. If you want to do less work then go with the more expensive one, but really, Check them all out and see what's affordable and in the best shape then go from there. You might consider going with an S30 rather than limiting yourself to a 240Z as well. the Differences are very minor. There's a lot to be said for NOT picking up someone elses project. If you get to take it apart, then you know where you put the pieces and that you had X part, where someone else's project, you might find yourself having to buy a 2nd parts car just to replace missing parts the Failed Project owner "forgot" to supply you with.

It's real Easy to get bit by the WhileI'matit bug and start buying a lot of parts before you're ready for them. you might resiste that idea to same yourself $

Phar