HybridZ

generic oil cooler

MarkS30

hey guys, just wondering if something like this has any benefit to the trusty 'ol L24.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/HAD1/459.oap?pt=01365&ppt=C0331

my car is just a weekend toy, with occasional trips up the santa monica mountains, and several open track days. i'd like to think an oil cooler like this wouldn't hurt?

the engine is mostly stock other than a drop-in k&n on '72 SU's, 6-1 header and 2.5 inch exhaust. stock cam, etc. it doesn't have any overheating problems as far as i can tell.

thanks for your input,

-Mark

Edited by MarkS30

Go to a junk yard and look around the euro section. You will see many Saabs, BMW, Mercedes with SETRAB oil coolers. They are usually around $10-$15 and they are great pieces. IMHO much better than that $100 flimsy fin generic crap. By the time you get it mounted and run your oil line you should save a couple bucks and have a much better heat exchanger that is way more durable. Just my .02

Roger, Roger!

There are plenty of OEM oil coolers out there that are very durable and in some cases have a proper thermostatic valve incorporated into them so overcooling of the oil is not an issue.

I personally liked the 1st Gen RX7 coolers. Very JDM look to them...

Is your oil overheating? What is your sump temperature? What is the duration of your longest full rpm full load pull?

If you're not overheating now, overcool oil IS DETRIMENTAL to your engine. It's viscosity is not right, costing you horsepower, it is not hot enough to burn off contaminants so they dilute the oil, etc. If you have a cooler, you can always cover it with cardboard. And inelegant solution, for sure, but it works!