HybridZ

Oil Flow problem - oil pump? or clogged oil passages?

boardkid280z

I blew a turbo and am getting my new one plumbed in. I wanted to make sure it was getting oil so left the oil feed line off the turbo while I cranked the engine and there was no oil coming out. (probably the reason my last turbo went out)

I took off the oil filter to see if the oil pump was working at all. There is oil coming out where the oil filter goes, but it doesn't seem like a lot. I would have guessed that there would be higher oil pressure or more flow there. I took a video, so you can see there is no oil going to the turbo oil feed line. Can you all tell me if the amount of oil going to the filter is good, or does it seem low? If it seems low, then I can suspect the oil pump, if it seems good, I will see if something is clogging the passages to turbo oil feed. Thanks!

Warning - The audio is loud!

1978 Datsun 280Z with '83 turbo motor

Last turbo was a stock center and exhaust with upgraded compressor

I just did an oil change

Yes, there is oil in the pan

Test done with: spark plugs removed, oil filter removed, fuel pump disconnected

When I was putting the new turbo in, I saw that the oil lines were pretty dirty, and kind of dry, more coked i would say, so I cleaned them out real good.

Edited by boardkid280z

You don't seem to be getting any reply's,

so I'll have a stab with a list that may be the issue..

bad oil pump,

bad oil pump gasket (leaking internaly )

bad oil pump pressure spring

lose oil pickup (sucking air where it connects at the block)

oil pick up filter clogged

I had a issue with low oil pressure after I built a engine, replace the oil pump and that fixed it, but you have next to no oil flow,

btw, are you using a gear reduction starter motor ?, as this will spin it slower

Nigel

Edited by Noddle