HybridZ

What's it worth?

I know someone who is looking at a '71 240Z to restore, and I wanted to get some feedback as to what you guys thought the car was worth. He asked me, and I wasn't 100% sure being it's a one-owner, low mileage car. I'm used to buying $1-3k Zs that are nowhere near this nice. It's a original owner car, with only 56k on it. It has been off the road for ~20 years. I'm not sure (yet) if it runs or not. From what I can tell it's been in storage in NY. Looks pretty good from the pics. The interior could use some love (judging by the seats) but not terrible by any means. Looks like a later year production model, judging from the circular Z emblem on the quarter. A repaint would most likely be in order. So what do you guys think? Let's assume it has minimal rust, it'll run after being gone through (fresh gas, oil, etc), and it's all original (#s matching and such)... I would put it around $3-5k depending on the rust situation. But that's kind of a shot in the dark, which is why I wanted to get some more opinions. And what should this be worth after a full resto? ~$10k? Thanks!!

post-6803-049068800 1299551467_thumb.jpg

post-6803-099132900 1299551531_thumb.jpg

post-6803-005615100 1299551562_thumb.jpg

Edited by pbagchi

It would sell quickly at $4,500 - possibly to a Canadian buyer. Most restorations are a loss. Meaning you'll put more into the car than you'll get out. It's very easy to spend $6,000 on a moderate restoration doing much of the work yourself. Simply 'refreshing' the car would likely not bring you up to $10,000. The interior is nice - the dash looks uncracked and I like that it has the OEM radio and an early A/C. Post an engine shot please. I'd like to see how it looks under the hood.

zip, thanks for the response. Why to a Canadian buyer? Because there aren't as many examples in this shape available to them? I'll try to get an engine shot soon.

Any other opinions?

That is correct most Canadian S30 cars have long rusted.

That is an easy $4K car but need to poke under the car and look at the rust on the floors and frame to be certain.