HybridZ

cold start injector flow rate

akeboshi

hi everybody,

i was curious about maybe using my cold start injector as my water meth injector (trying to save some $$$)and started using the search function to find out what the flow rate in CC/min are. what i found was that there are none out there, just everyone having having them as the fault for rich running and also everyone and their mother selling them online. i proceeded to take it off and pressurize it (with water)with the AEM 150psi surflo pump. i realise that water and gasoline have different specific wieghts and also water meth mixes but this is what i got

300 CC/min @ 150 PSI (measured with the lines on my water bottle)

using the RC engineering calc i found that at 36 psi (77z fuel pressure)is equal to 146.97 CC/min.

correct me if im wrong but those numbers @ 150 psi could support around 250-300 hp.

i thought that this would be very useful info for anyone trying to do a cheap water meth kit after going turbo (or in my case building a high comp. L28E)or if someone just wanted to know those numbers. also if they rust out or go bad or whatever you can get them at the pick n pull for supercheap.

let me know what you guys think about it, like any bad reasons for doing water meth this way because i have only seen these kits injecting before the throttle body and not after. does the manifold fill with water? will the injector fail at the worst time? any bad reasons???

thanks all,

marcus

That was the way old-school turbo systems added fuel over what could be had by the typical hobbs switches and resistors on the ECU feedback for cold start.

Personally I think it's a little close to inject it for the methanol, what kind of atomization did you get from it? My recollection was it was not that great an atmozer nozzle.

Saving a few bucks that eventually costs you your engine may not be that wise!

That was the way old-school turbo systems added fuel over what could be had by the typical hobbs switches and resistors on the ECU feedback for cold start.

Personally I think it's a little close to inject it for the methanol, what kind of atomization did you get from it? My recollection was it was not that great an atmozer nozzle.

Saving a few bucks that eventually costs you your engine may not be that wise!

i thought the atomization looked fantastic like those fine mists at the theme parks on a hot day. its funny u mention hobbs switches cuz thats how im gonna do mine!